DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Fonts & Typography

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-18-2005, 11:24 AM   #1
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.
Default Mark Simonson type design

I sent out a few invitations to this new place the other day and was very happy to get a reply from former forum member (from ten years ago!) Mark Simonson. He stopped by and said he would try to come again. It was great to catch up with him.

Mark is a type designer, specializing in display fonts, many of them based on historic models. You can view his collection at his web site.

Two families in particular catch my fancy: Coquette (3 fonts, $59) and Mostra (5 weights, 15 fonts, $89).

Mark has a special offer at his site: buy $99 worth of fonts and get a free autographed copy of the Indie Fonts II specimen book, which includes a CD of some of the fonts shown. I’m thinking of taking him up on that deal, as I would like to get the book anyway (a $35 value, or at least that’s what volume 1 cost).

I have Indie Fonts I and am impressed by the general quality of the book (a well-made hardcover), the designers and foundries whose work is included, and the font sampler. Some of the designers will be well-known to you, as they include P22 (owner Richard Kegler is one of the editors of the book), Carter & Cone (Matthew Carter), Altered Ego (Brian Sooy), LettError (Just van Rossum and Erik van Blokland, of Beowolf fame), and more. I assume volume II is of the same standard.

Mark’s site also includes portfolios of his lettering and design work, and several articles, including an interesting one called “Typecasting” in which he critiques several movies on the basis of the accuracy and appropriateness of typographic bits and pieces (titles, props, and so on). He also has a rant entitled “The Scourge of Arial” (with a couple of sidebars) that is very good reading.

Anyway, it was nice to catch up with Mark, and hope to see him here again.