DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Web Design

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-04-2006, 10:33 AM   #1
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Default Google free search gives spotty results?

Is anybody using Google's free search on their sites? Have you noticed that it's not working as well as it used to?

Somebody mentioned the other day that pages they'd once been able to find on my PPT FAQ page were no longer coming up in the search. Confirmed here.

Email to google's support address gets a "Dude, it's free. Check the FAQ. Good luck. Bye." sort of answer. Fair enough, but the FAQ gives no useful suggestions.

The pages in question have been indexed in the past. The've both been there for 1.5 years or longer. Content hasn't changed, but the CSS behind it may have ... but the same changes would apply to all of the pages on the site.

I don't recall having seen any limit to the number of pages google will index, but I wonder if that's an issue here - if I search on " " (space character), google says it's searched 10,600 pages on the site.

The site is at www.pptfaq.com (which redirects to http://www.rdpslides.com/pptfaq/index.html)

Example: search on "monitor" and google coughs up a tutorial by Paul Iordanides but not the immediately following page with a tutorial on the same subject by Chirag Dalal:

A Multiple Monitor Tutorial by PowerPoint MVP Chirag Dalal
http://www.rdpslides.com/pptfaq/FAQ00476.htm

Even searching on "Chirag" doesn't turn up the page.

I know of at least one other example, but who knows how many other pages might have been tossed?

Interesting sidetrack: search google (regular google, not the site search) for "test". All kinds fun.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote