DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Fonts & Typography

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-23-2006, 04:58 AM   #1
dthomsen8

Default "The Scourge of Arial"

http://www.ms-studio.com/articles.html

has an excellent article about Arial, and its "scourge" font, Helvetica. I have thought for some time that Arial is not all that great, but now I know why. Doubtless the font mavens here know the Arial story well, but for those of us who are primarily computer techies and only secondly or even lower font students, this is good information.

There is even another article there on how to distinguish between Arial and Helvetica, and even Grotesque, but only on paper or in images would web developers need that information in a particular case, since we can look at the source code instead.

I have specified Tahoma or Verdana rather than Arial recently, but maybe I should go ahead and pay for Helvetica myself. I tend to think of Helvetica as mostly a Mac font, but maybe there is enough of a Windows base to specify it before Tahoma or Verdana or another sans serif font.
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote