DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Business Matters

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-09-2006, 06:24 PM   #1
iamback

Default Make your site "stickier"...

... with a customized toolbar.

I've been fooling with this all day (and night - it's past 4 in the morning now!) and I totally forgot how I stumbled onto this site... There are many companies offering custom toolbars, but mostly they cost. But EffectiveBrand Allows you to create your own branded and fully customized toolbar - an for free! And it's totally free of spyware, popups or other nasties as well (they guarantee it: if you can prove otherwise they'll pay you $5000 ). It's free because they can monetize the search results - that's all.

I think it's a great idea for any "community" or niche site!

So I tried it, to see what I could get. Well, so far the configuration interface will run only on Internet Explorer (most of it even on IE5 - even in a Mozilla tab!) though configuring a few features was problematic but functioned properly in IE6. It's really very slick. They are very responsive, too, are open to suggestions, and have a pretty good forum running where there is not only user-to-user support but people from the company are there, too. (I reported a problem and heard back pretty soon that I found a bug - not only that, it was actualy fixed within a few hours! On Sunday.)

Once the toolbar is installed it gets automatically updated when you restart your browser and go online, and there's a 'refresh toolbar' menu item as well.

For the toolbar itself, system requirements are:
  • Microsoft Windows 2000/XP
    Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.0+
  • Firefox 1.0.1+

I have yet to create links on my site, but you can bet Marjolein's Travel Toolbar already! Complete with Marjolein's Travel Chat. and more handy features - see the (live!) preview and features list on the download page

The IE/Windows version comes complete with uninstall as well, and they promise it's a clean uninstall (I haven't tested that - but so far they're as good as their word).

So - give it a whirl and let me know what you think: both of the tool in general, and of my own toolbar! I should get a couple of hours of sleep now, but tomorrow you'll be able to chat with me live (as soon as I'm online); or you could chat with each other. Or have the toolbar check your email. Or....

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote