DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > General Publishing Topics

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-04-2006, 12:52 PM   #1
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.
Default 1GB USB flash-memory dingus

Last month a visiting friend saved my bacon in a small way by means of a little USB memory device. His was 256MB (he uses it to sequester presonal files so they do not appear on his monitored business laptop).

To be honest, it is difficult for me to justify having one of these things, but when I saw a pile of them at Costco yesterday, I couldn’t resist: 1GB SanDisk Cruzer mini flash drive, $55 (actually $70 with a $15 discount).

To demonstrate that I was at least marginally sensible, I have actually already found a use for it, moving font files around to clean up a drive so I could re-partition it. That was a reach, I realize, but guilt required some use!

It comes loaded with a bunch of Windows apps and demos; figure I will just delete them and recover the MBs.

In another discussion here recently, someone said some of these devices have a limited number of uses (10,000, maybe?); not sure if they were talking about this or some other type. For the price, this should pay its way.

Can’t help but think of the other removable drives (Syquests, opticals of various sizes and formats, etc.) over the years that cost more than this sweet little thing and probably didn’t get more than 1000 uses! And they were all bulky, and worked only in their own boxes.