DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > The Corner Pub

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-18-2006, 07:08 PM   #1
JVegVT

Default Got a new computer

I haven't been here for a couple of weeks. We had our children and grandchildren here over the holidays, then had a dinner with my cousin and his family, and when it finally looked as if things would settle down, I surprised myself and bought a new computer last week.

Needless to say, I've been busy since then and expect at least a couple more weeks of quite a few tasks before I can get back to my regular computer projects. It's not just the one computer. I also have to do some hardware switching, copying of files, and have to prepare my oldest computer for its new home.

I've been getting frustrated of late with the slowness of my 500 Mhz computer, used mainly for Linux. So I've been looking at motherboards and CPUs, expecting to go my usual upgrade route of a new motherboard, CPU, RAM, and HSF. My budget is very limited, so in no way was the cutting edge a possibility.

But when I saw this computer's price after rebate, I knew there was no way I could approach it if I did my own upgrade. The computer has a Sempron 3400+ CPU on a Socket 939 motherboard, SATA hard drive, an empty PCI Express socket for a future video upgrade, two FireWire ports (one on the front) and six USB 2 ports (two on the front). I ordered two 512-meg sticks of PC3200 DDR RAM so I can take advantage of dual-channel memory--should be here in a day or two. I'm moving a 200-gig hard drive from my present XP computer to my new one and will also switch the CD-RW/DVD-ROM drive in the new computer with the dual-layer DVD writer in my present XP computer. The new computer will be my main XP computer and my present XP computer will become my main Linux computer. The old 500 MHz computer will be donated to a nonprofit or a school. I'll sell the 17" flat-screen CRT that came with the new computer because I don't need it (have two LCDs for the desktop computers).

As you all know, setting up a computer is time-consuming when you have loads of programs. I'm well along and hope to be done by the weekend. Then I have to work on the other two computers.

Not that I'm complaining!<g>
--Judy M.

Registered Linux User #397786
Being productive with VectorLinux 7 Standard
JVegVT is offline   Reply With Quote