DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > The Corner Pub

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-27-2005, 02:13 PM   #1
PeterArnel

Location: North of Swindon in the UK on the edge of the Cotswolds
Default Saving the World

Has the world gone mad, I heard today on BBC radio 4 (so it must be true) that soon we all will be given our own carbon omissions – which presumably we will be able to sell on eBay to the highest bidder – and where next for goodness sake, you can see the next step is giving us limits on the air we breath – well I suppose at least it would stop all these fit people jogging.

There is of course a simple way to save energy and that is to go back to the old imperial sizes. 10” x 8” (254 x 203) and use a slightly smaller type – or write less. The saving on paper alone would be nearly 2 trees in 10, the weight is nearly 20% less so saving in transport, postage costs etc would be incredible. Magazines and newspapers would of course have to delete two words in 10 – but I ask u who would notice.

This may seem slightly tongue in cheek but as I write this, I realise that the savings would be huge and question why we are not talking about it. When we are spending such a huge amount of resources in recycling paper which seems to be increasing as we move into a paperless society – why are we not even thinking about reducing the page size.

Peter Arnel

I will leave the debate about the page size of Toilet paper for another day
PeterArnel is offline   Reply With Quote