DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Web Site Building & Maintenance

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-12-2005, 07:52 PM   #1
CarlSeiler

Default Vertical Alignment of DIVs

I've been playing with a three-column format. It's designed to have a 200px image at the top, but I threw that out in favor of a simple h1 for the top part (toptitle) instead.

But what I've found out is that it's difficult for me move the left and right columns (leftcontent and rightcontent DIVs) into position given that I don't plan to specify the top using px units. I'd like to use relative units such as em's, but how do I know how many em's to use?

The toptitle div contains an h1 with 0.5em padding on top and bottom. I'd think that I'd have to specify 2em for the top of the left and right columns (see the CSS in line 29 for example), except that I've got an h1 in the top part, and the leftcontent and rightcontent DIVs clearly don't base their "em" on the height of the h1 in toptitle.

Finally, I just fiddled around and got 4.5em to work, but logically other than knowing that h1 has some relationship with the default text size, I don't know if that's really the way to go.

This probably doesn't make any sense at all. It looks OK the way it is, but I don't like the idea that "top: 4.5em;" is just pulled out of a hat. I'd like to specify that the height should be based on the height of the toptitle div.

Is this making sense at all?

The page is at http://overanalysis.org/words/index.html
CarlSeiler is offline   Reply With Quote