DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Fonts & Typography

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-22-2007, 09:29 PM   #1
ss2003

Default I Finally Got My PS Fonts to Transfer to OS X

I don't know if any of my news will help anyone, but here's what I had to do to get my PS fonts to work right on the OS X:

I finally managed to get my Adobe Postscript fonts moved from the system fonts folder of my Mac G-3 to the Mini Mac after a lot of hard work. For some reason when I copied the fonts from my Mac G3 to a thumb drive, or to a CD using OS X, or even copied the font folder to the OS X, the files would corrupt -- meaning I could not see an Adobe Icon for any of the files, only a gray box in place of the icon which had green letters inside of it saying exec. It looked like the frame of a computer screen.

The only way we found to make the fonts work for was to network the two computers. I'd wire them up, turn on the G3, and then start the Mac mini. From the Mac Mini, I clicked on the fonts located in the G-3 system fonts file from the G-3 Hard Drive, and this opened up Font Book. I could then preview the fonts, and install them. I was never able to preview any of these fonts using the copies put on the thumb drive, or even the CD I copied the fonts over to. So, I have now loaded over 250 Adobe PS Fonts. You know, what's even stranger is that I even inserted a CD containing publications and fonts I was using, and tried to pull over the font files from from this CD -- again, I could not even preview the fonts from the CD, but sure got a nice view of the gray icon.

In doing all this last night, my computer locked up on me. I had to get Adobe to help today, and we deleted the library folder on the Mac Mini HD. Somehow once we did that, after I had set up a new user, and deleted the old use, the new library file showed up, and it got most things to work. I trashed the old library font file.

Now.... since dumping the old library file, I think I dumped out Adobe InDesign with it! I'm going to have to re-load InDesign, and THEN --- fingers crossed --- it will all be in working order and I won't have to be substituting fonts. YIPPEE. I need a miracle. I also noticed I have about 100 fonts that were created before 1992 -- possibly Adobe has some updates I can get for these.
ss2003 is offline   Reply With Quote