DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Print Design

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-11-2005, 11:17 AM   #1
mksf

Location: Supposedly, in the San Francisco Bay area, but I can be found almost anywhere.
Default Importing Images into Quark Express 5.01

Howdy!

Brent agreed to do my holiday letter this year, so I wrote the text and gave him some JPGs from my camera. The text looks great, but the images are all pixellated when viewed, either on screen or in print.

Our first thought was the problem was caused by images that are 72dpi JPGs, so I converted them to 300dpi, but there was no change.

We looked at some of the work that he's done in the past, and we noticed that everything he has imported in the past has been TIFF or EPS format. I took the photos and converted them to TIFF on my PC, but we still see the same behavior. I then tried converting one to TIFF on his computer, using Photoshop, and we STILL see the same behavior. For some reason, Quark is having difficulty dealing with the images--even though they look wonderful in Photoshop or on my PC.

Does anyone have any advice on what format is the best to use when importing images into Quark? I have PaintShop Pro on my computer (and several other programs), and Brent has Photoshop 5.5 on his. Unfortunately, I can't find anything in Photoshop to tell me a summary of the properties of a given image (e.g., the current dimensions, dpi, colors, compression, etc.), so that I can try to replicate them in the images I'm providing.

Note that Brent is NOT a computer expert, even with his Mac. To him, it's a tool to help him get his job done. He doesn't have the latest versions of programs, because he normally doesn't need them. It's like the difference between the newest laser level vs. his tried-and-true bubble level.

Any words of advice? ...thanks!
mksf is offline   Reply With Quote