DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Web Design

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-27-2005, 08:09 AM   #1
jwoolf09

Default Need help with Dreamweaver 4

I need some help with Dreamweaver version 4. I have several webpages that I originally wrote in a different editor, then switched to Dreamweaver because I'm trying to learn how to use it. My problem is that with these webpages, when I try typing anything into the Layout window in Dreamweaver, instantly all my HTML code formatting vanishes, and the source code collapses into an unreadable mess. For example, this:

<tbody>
<!-- Individual dates --> <!-- First week - includes days from previous month -->
<tr>
<td align="left" valign="top" style="background-image: url(back.jpg)"><b>26</B></td>
<td align="left" valign="top" style="background-image: url(back.jpg)"><b>27</B></td>
<td align="left" valign="top" style="background-image: url(back.jpg)"><b>28</B></td>
<td align="left" valign="top" style="background-image: url(back.jpg)"><b>29</B></td>
<td align="left" valign="top" style="background-image: url(back.jpg)"><b>30</B></td>
<td align="left" valign="top" style="background-image: url(back.jpg)"><b>31</B></td>
<td align="left" valign="top"><b>1</b><br>
Taiwan Acrobats<br>
8 p.m.<br>
$16/$24/$36 </td>
</tr>
---------------------------------------

becomes this:

-----------------------------------------
</thead> <tbody> <!-- Individual dates --> <!-- First week - includes days from previous month -->
<tr> <td align="left" valign="top" style="background-image: url(back.jpg)"><b>26</B></td><td align="left" valign="top" style="background-image: url(back.jpg)"><b>27</B></td><td align="left" valign="top" style="background-image: url(back.jpg)"><b>28</B></td><td align="left" valign="top" style="background-image: url(back.jpg)"><b>29</B></td><td align="left" valign="top" style="background-image: url(back.jpg)"><b>30</B></td><td align="left" valign="top" style="background-image: url(back.jpg)"><b>31</B></td><td align="left" valign="top"><b>1</b><br>
Taiwan Acrobats<br> 8 p.m.<br> $16/$24/$36 </td></tr>
-----------------------------------------------

I've been all over the settings menus, and can't find anything that could be causing this. Other people I know who use DW have never seen anything like this. Several searches on the Web and DejaNews found exactly one other case of somebody complaining about this problem, and they never got a solution. So I know it isn't just me, but I don't know how to fix it.

Anyone here have any answers or insight to offer?

-- JSW
jwoolf09 is offline   Reply With Quote