DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Fonts & Typography

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-14-2005, 08:56 AM   #1
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.
Default Lino revives Matrix mag (& rant)

After five decades, Linotype is reviving Linotype Matrix as a magazine. Like other past publications including the Monotype Recorder, Adobe’s Font & Function, and ITC’s U&lc, Matrix was (and is) a promotional publication, designed to showcase a company’s font offerings.

But because it focuses on things typographic, most of us do not mind — and even may enjoy — the ads and promotional parts of the publication.

So I was glad to see the announcement from Linotype, with the 30% off deal, and ran right off and ordered it, once again falling into the Linotype trap: no information on shipping costs until the screen where you authorize payment and then, wham! — $25 to ship a magazine costing $8.50.

I suppose they may be greedy, but mostly I think they are, um, let me be really rude: stupid! They used to have representatives in the U.S., England, and elsewhere. If not, they would not be hard to find. Surely they could ship a few dozen copies of an issue to one of these guys so the shipping could be a couple of bucks instead of nearly three times the purchase price!!

And surely they could reorganize their web site so that one could see the shipping cost before submitting credit card information and another four or five screens of information? (I guess this may be the greed part.)

The shameful thing is I actually went for it, as I want to see what they are doing, and I collect typographic ephemera. But did think I should warn the rest of you about this annoying “customer service” policy.