DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > General Publishing Topics

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-10-2005, 05:53 PM   #1
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.
Default Compact and useful agenda

Last year I bought a lovely agenda from Typotheque (the type foundry run by Peter Bilak). It cost a bit too much, but had many advantages: small size (about 3.25 X 5 inches, 3/16" thick), lovely paper (slick, thin, but not too transparent; with some gridded sheets in the back for sketching).

I have been living by it, so went to the Typotheque site looking for the 2006 book, to no avail. Sent them an e-mail, and got a reply: the next one will be available in two weeks. When it is ready, they will list it on the web site. (Feel free to go pester them in the meantime, however.)

Just thought I would mention it. If you need a sort of minimalist calendar book, to enter appointments and other cryptic information, this one is lovely. The only thing that would make it better would be a Moleskini-style elastic closure (but I have done fine with a rubber band rescued from a batch of asparagus, just to keep the pages from becoming splayed in my handbag).

My only criticism is the short date format: European, so that April 8 looks like 8/4. That would be August 4 to me, of course. I wrote to suggest that in the future it would be less ambiguous (and more international) to use alpha months: 8 Apr (or Apr 8) for example.

No response as of yet (I have annotated my copy just to avoid making appointments for the wrong date!).

Anyway, I do recommend this. All the other agendas I have considered are either too large in format or too thick. This one is perfect!