DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > On Language & Literature

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-24-2005, 03:24 PM   #1
Robin Springall

Location: Ealing Common, London W5, where I duplicate CDs and DVDs.
Default Why shud we bovver?

I'm a pedant, I admit it. I like the written word to be well written. I hate seeing apostrophy's used incorrectly, I dislike spaces placed before punctuation marks , and I especially get miffed when clients submit liner notes discussing their latest Cd. Cd is cadmium, element 48 in the periodic table, between zinc and mercury: compact discs contain absolutely no cadmium whatsoever - Al, certainly, but no Cd.

"But everyone who reads it knows what I mean," said today's client after I asked him if he wanted me to correct his litry masterpiece. How far down the road do you go when you're charging him GBP55 per hour for the privilege? Do you glare at him over the top of your spectacles and pointedly enquire whether or not he would like you to correct the punctuation, or do you rigidly stick to the original text, split infinitives and all? (Actually I rather approve of those!)

The whole back cover of of a magazine I saw last week is an advert with the following trumpet-call beauty in TNR 96pt:
The Best In It's Class
Lord save us!
Robin Springall is offline   Reply With Quote