DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Software

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-27-2005, 06:04 PM   #1
Andrew B.
Staff

Default Photoshop Elements 4.0 has arrived

For Photoshop Elements fans, the good news is Version 4 was just released. The bad news is, I don't see a Mac version (the Mac page still shows Version 3). But I assume the Mac version will show up in a few days.

Here's what they say about new features:

1. Custom slide shows, including music, captions, and narration. Sounds like fun. I'll have to see what the outputs are, but they suggest that there are several formats.

2. Quickly retouch specific areas. It appears to me that this is new technology, where the user can simply stroke over part of an object, and Elements intelligently identifies the whole object and selects it. I'll have to see this to believe it.

3. They say: "Photoshop Elements now eliminates red eye automatically as you download photos from your camera. Or you can remove red eye from individual shots without even clicking on the photo." Could be, but in the "before and after" photos they show, the woman's face became less red. So maybe this is a red eye and sunburn removal tool???

4. Share photos online. Sharing is nice.

5. Adjust skin tone. I used to wonder about the need for this, considering that adjusting the entire photo should fix skin tone. But now I think that if skin tone adjustment can be made easier, then why not. And I will be curious to see how Adobe compares to others who have been doing this for awhile.

6. Instantly find photos that contain faces. I wonder how often this will be used.

7. Order prints online with one click. And they say " professional-quality Kodak prints." Sounds like a great idea. I wonder who will be doing the printing.

8. View photos on your TV. Remember way back in the days when being subjected to other people's home movies was considered torture. I wonder if this will be just as bad.

9. Quick-launching Editor mode. Elements got some criticism for being so slow to start. Maybe they solved this problem.

http://www.adobe.com/
Andrew B. is offline   Reply With Quote