DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Web Site Building & Maintenance

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-04-2005, 06:30 PM   #1
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea
Default Letter Spacing and Italics

(I'm posting this for George)

I noticed recently that my transliterated Greek words in my web page, which are italicized, looked squished, especially the one in a sub-heading. Transliterated words from another language looked just like italicized English, but then, it seemed to me that even those words had a tighter letter spacing than a normal font.

From time to time in this forum, I have seen posting reviewing how to make italicized print more readable, primarily through font-family selection. I have quite a bit of italicized text, due to a special quoting format. I‚m going to enlarge the Greek transliteration spacing, at least in the sub-heading, but now I‚m wondering if I should consider playing with the letter spacing in all those italicized quotes in English to make them more readable. Has anyone ever experimented with this approach?? Perhaps, it wouldn‚t contrast well with the normal text; or perhaps, it just wouldn‚t really be any more readable. Right now I‚m thinking about monitor screen viewing, not print; but I suppose I should at the same time consider both forms of transmission.

(It seems really weird to me how it‚s just Greek words that tighten up more in italicizing. But, I know this isn‚t my imagination).

George