DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Print Production & Automation

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-22-2005, 12:34 PM   #1
Paul

Default Dropouts from PDF

I need some help with a problem printing a PDF on a Docutech. The problem is that some characters, generally in heads, that appear when the PDF is viewed and that printed correctly in a Laserjet proof, did not print when the PDF was run on a Docutech.

It's a booklet intended to be printed on 11 × 17 paper, with the imposition done by the Docutech operator. The publication is produced in InDesign 2.0.2 running on Windows XP, using ID's export function. The export settings are to optimize for print and use Acrobat 4 compatibility(because we also make this available on a web site and don't know what version of the Reader anyone might be using), and to embed all fonts. The imposition is done by the Docutech operator.

We've had the same workflow for about two years, and we've never seen this problem before. There have been no changes in our procedures but I don't know whether the printing company has changed anything. I'm irked that the print shop did not seem to notice that the output did not match the proof, but before I take this up with them, I hope to have some idea what is wrong.

I'm going to attach the PDF, and I would appreciate it if anyone who has the time could download it and print some or all of the pages. Page 5 is one of those where a head disappeared. If you have any idea at all what might have gone wrong, please tell me.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf galim.aug05.pdf (1.34 MB, 945 views)
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote