DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Business Matters

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-29-2021, 01:34 AM   #1
Ronald

Default Fretting over photography licensing, video editing rate

I'm struggling to figure out a rate to charge for licensing and video editing work. I licensed some photos to a large non-profit (NRDC) for use in an online article. I also heavily edited and added new footage & interview audio to a pre-existing short film I made, which they've uploaded and embedded in the article. The latter took a few hours over the course of a week.

I recently licensed photos to a massive natural history museum at a rate of roughly $100 each. This was for large-scale print display in an exhibit and gave them the right to use the photos in other media; although I think they'll just be used in the exhibit.

For some context, I've been shooting photography for over a decade but only had my work regularly used professionally in recent years. I got into video in fall 2019 within a few months, I landed a full-time job making documentary/promo-style videos and shoot photography. I use a full-frame camera and other expensive equipment.

I'd like to charge at least $50 each for NRDC's licensing and as much as $100. There's always a feeling of guilt associated with charging too much, especially for a nonprofit (even though, again, it's a massive organization). Thoughts?
Ronald is offline   Reply With Quote