DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Software

Old 06-13-2013, 03:43 AM   #1
CMAR606

Default Mail on Phone = Very Redundant

Hey Guys,

So I tried having my email on my IPHONE.. sure its nice.. But I just find it redundant.. How about you?

I mean sure its nice I can look at it from ANYWHERE I AM... But... Whats the point? I dont have a way of emailing something to someone johnny on the spot I have to wait till I get home to do it, or have to think oh geez what is their address again?

Might as well just POP3 the mail right here at home where I have my address book.

I wanted to switch back to a DUMB PHONE and Sprint talked me out of it twice.. They're like why do that you have unlimited data FREE? And tell me its not going to be cheaper to have a dummy phone. UGH! Sure its nice to pass the time by browsing the web while you wait at a dr office but... I am just frustrated lol.

--- Christopher
CMAR606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 05:50 AM   #2
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

>> So I tried having my email on my IPHONE.. sure its nice.. But I just find it redundant.. How about you?

iPhone/smartphone, doesnt' really matter. I like being able to get email on my phone.

To begin with, I set it up to poll for email quite often but NOT to delete mail from the server once it's retrieved. My main computer at the office is the only one that's allowed to delete email.

This way, I feel more free to be out of the office running errands or just taking a walk, since I know that if there are any client crises, I'll find out about it quickly from the phone email (I also have my voicemail text the phone whenever I get a new voice message).

If the email requires a simple answer, I can respond then and there; if it wants something more complex, or needs a file from the main PC, I can at least reply to let the client know that I'm out of the office but will be back at XX:00 and will get to work on it right away. Or whatever.

>> I dont have a way of emailing something to someone johnny on the spot I have to wait till I get home to do it, or have to think oh geez what is their address again?

??? If you have an email on the phone, you have the address, no? Hit the reply button, let your fingers do the talking. ;-)

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:00 AM   #3
CMAR606

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Rindsberg View Post
>> So I tried having my email on my IPHONE.. sure its nice.. But I just find it redundant.. How about you?

iPhone/smartphone, doesnt' really matter. I like being able to get email on my phone.

To begin with, I set it up to poll for email quite often but NOT to delete mail from the server once it's retrieved. My main computer at the office is the only one that's allowed to delete email.

This way, I feel more free to be out of the office running errands or just taking a walk, since I know that if there are any client crises, I'll find out about it quickly from the phone email (I also have my voicemail text the phone whenever I get a new voice message).

If the email requires a simple answer, I can respond then and there; if it wants something more complex, or needs a file from the main PC, I can at least reply to let the client know that I'm out of the office but will be back at XX:00 and will get to work on it right away. Or whatever.

>> I dont have a way of emailing something to someone johnny on the spot I have to wait till I get home to do it, or have to think oh geez what is their address again?

??? If you have an email on the phone, you have the address, no? Hit the reply button, let your fingers do the talking. ;-)
yes I have their address in the message I meant as in my full address book if i need to forward something etc then no I dont have other addreses.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:42 AM   #4
Howard Allen

The thing with the iPhone is that you sync your address book between the iPhone and the home computer: then all your contacts/addresses are up-to-date on both machines. As for files, I use Dropbox for storing important or "active" files that I might need if I'm away from home. That way I can get at them anywhere, and even email them to someone from the phone; and even if I change the file while I'm "out in the field" it'll be up-to-date when I get back to the home computer.

OSX 10.10.5
Howard Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:22 AM   #5
CMAR606

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Allen View Post
The thing with the iPhone is that you sync your address book between the iPhone and the home computer: then all your contacts/addresses are up-to-date on both machines. As for files, I use Dropbox for storing important or "active" files that I might need if I'm away from home. That way I can get at them anywhere, and even email them to someone from the phone; and even if I change the file while I'm "out in the field" it'll be up-to-date when I get back to the home computer.
I dont think i know how to sync the address book to iphone without adding everyone to my iphone address book that would be alot to weed out.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:51 AM   #6
Howard Allen

Why weed anything out? Let the whole works sync. You can set the iPhone to display only the groups you want (Friends, Family, Work, Client A, Client B, Client C...) if you don't want to look at a big long list (which isn't really that onerous anyway, with quick scrolling).

OSX 10.10.5
Howard Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 11:36 AM   #7
Franca
Staff

Yep, works the same way on my Droid with my Google contacts, and I, too, use DropBox. Although the mobile version of Gmail is a bit unhandy in terms of cleanup tasks (which can wait till I'm back at my computer) I can send and receive email just fine on my phone.

Franca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 04:47 PM   #8
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

I do what Howard does. Although I try not to reply on the iPhone. And I do the same with the iPad, which is wonderful for some things. I used it to take photos of a major repair job I needed done in the kitchen and send them to my niece's husband who was doing the job. The ability to reverse the photo (front to back) is wonderful when you're taking photos of things in awkward places.