DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Web Design

Old 01-07-2006, 12:02 PM   #1
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea
Default background-color required!

I've just been caught again by the W3C, using a style sheet that validated perfectly a few months ago, but is now generating warnings about lack of background-color for text elements such as h1, h2, links etc.

It's not so bad this time, because I don't have any elements on this site with links or headings on coloured backgrounds, but when I first discovered the change in requirements late last year, it was on a site that did have coloured boxes, and I had to duplicate all the style elements and add background colours to every single instance.

I know this wasn't a requirement in about March last year when I first created the style I'm about to fix, because it validated then, and also later in the year, about May, when I made some further changes. So when did this change, why did it change, and how do I keep up-to-date so that I don't get these nasty surprises (and become embarrassed by my little brag box at the bottom of the page)?

Old 01-07-2006, 12:04 PM   #2
Kelvyn
Staff

I think it has long been a "requirement". You can always add background-color: transparent; to the elements.

Web site design, hosting and marketing, Keswick in the UK Lake District

If you are planning a visit to Keswick then try Keswick Tourist Information website

Kelvyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 12:23 PM   #3
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvyn
I think it has long been a "requirement". You can always add background-color: transparent; to the elements.
Thanks, Kelvyn. That's going to solve a little problem there where I do legitimately need white text on a white background to hide flyout menus from IE Mac users.

Those CSS files really did validate as late as May last year!

Old 01-07-2006, 12:46 PM   #4
annc
Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvyn
The validator doesn't like 'background-color: transparent;'

Old 01-07-2006, 01:00 PM   #5
iamback

Quote:
Originally Posted by annc
The validator doesn't like 'background-color: transparent;'
Try inherit instead of transparent - does that help?

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 01:46 PM   #6
annc
Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamback
Try inherit instead of transparent - does that help?
Brilliant, Marjolein, thanks. I've now got the 'no errors or warnings' result I was after.

Old 01-08-2006, 07:56 PM   #7
donmcc

I always saw those as warnings: you should fix, but it still qualifies as compliant without it.

It is basically so that you don't change the font color to something incompatible with the user screen, in case the user has not chosen black on white as his/her default viewing colours.
donmcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 01:00 AM   #8
annc
Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by donmcc
I always saw those as warnings: you should fix, but it still qualifies as compliant without it.

It is basically so that you don't change the font color to something incompatible with the user screen, in case the user has not chosen black on white as his/her default viewing colours.
Yes, that's how they display. But they used not to show up.

Old 01-09-2006, 02:19 AM   #9
iamback

Quote:
Yes, that's how they display. But they used not to show up.
I've always seen them - but maybe it's a asetting in how you validate. But the warnings are there for a reason - I've always considered warnings as "lurking bugs": they may not cause problems now, or no problems you see - but still cause problems down the line or for someone else.

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 07:48 PM   #10
dacoyle

Location: Arlington, VA (across the river from Washington, DC)

Quote:
Those CSS files really did validate as late as May last year!
Ann, I know the XHTML validator still isn't 100% so it's probably the CSS validator has improved since last May.

Like you, I've not always been good about remembering setting both values. I like Marjolein's idea to avoid problems with "transparent".

Best way to keep up? Validate all the time! Everything. If someone at work submits an update that's just as minor as a phone number, I still revalidate using CSE, W3C, and 2 link checkers (Homesite and an inhouse tool).