DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Print Design

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-14-2008, 04:42 PM   #8
Michael Rowley

KT:

Quote:
I had both of these on my old list (as they are also favorites of mine). Unfortunately, the list was peppered with time-stamped comments that no longer make sense, so I am trying to clean it up. Should have it soon.
We should not forget libraries for acquiring knowledge that's in books that are long out of print. Simon's book makes very clear how the set of a typeface affects how many lines a given text occupies, the 'colour' of different popular (still!) typefaces, and how the actual size can differ considerably from the nominal size; Dowding gives a good idea of how finicky good typesetting is. Probably your list includes specialized books, but I bought both books in ordinary bookshops.

Quote:
Sounds very good. How is it at making PDFs useful to the commercial printer?
It [PagePlus] is extraordinarily complete when you consider its low price; a commercial printer might turn up his nose at a PagePlus file, but it makes good PDF/X files that include CMFK colour, so then he wouldn't know what you had used. (The PDF properties might give that away, but Steve will tell you how to fake some of the information.)

I got an earlier version of PagePlus on a magazine CD, then bought the latest version, which didn't cost more than £100 (I think it was actually $100), before I lashed out and got InDesign. PagePlus won't do the fancy things such as choosing ligatures automatically, but then if you're wedded to Type 1 or old TT fonts, what does that matter?