DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Software

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-05-2007, 12:49 AM   #1
marlene
Staff

Default Hard drive backup software

I'm in software hell! I'm using XP, SP2.

My Norton Antivirus 2006 subscription ran out, so I bought and installed NAV 2007. I also installed a newer (free) version of ZoneAlarm than the version I had before.

Now, DriveImage 7 won't run:

Unable to load configuration information.
COM object with CLSID [69C3D4B8-ACC2-41F0-85D6-403C53A9A38D] is either not valid or not registered.
Error creating view.
The view is not installed correctly.

I tried shutting down Zonealarm. I tried to shut down NAV, but it doesn't seem possible. I changed the config settings to turn off all possible functions for 5 hours. Didn't make any difference.

So I need to either figure out why DriveImage won't run (it's gotta have something to do with either the new NAV or the new ZA), or buy another backup program immediately. I might try uninstalling and reinstalling DriveImage, but first I have to find my original disk (or download) plus the updater(s).

As much as I like DriveImage, I'm not sure I want to upgrade to the Symantec version.

What else is available that works like DriveImage (lets me create backups with various levels of compression -- although I always used "standard" -- and, more important, will let me browse the backup file so I can select and restore individual files if necessary. Maybe all backup programs allow browsing/selecting/restoring individual files I don't know. FWIW, I back up to an external drive.

I need something VERY reliable, needless to say ...

TIA,

mxh
marlene is offline   Reply With Quote