Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Business Matters

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-13-2018, 12:56 PM   #4
terrie
Sysop

Quote:
andrew: They way 3.4 oz. each.
Ok...I went to usps.com, I entered my zip code in both places (similar to your LA to LA). On the "Weight, Shape, Size" page, I entered 3.4oz and then I played with which type of item it was (letter, large envelope, package, large package (over 12")):

If I chose "package", the "First Class Package Service, Retail" price was $3.50.

If I chose "Large Envelope" and "Rigid", the "First Class Package Service, Retail" price was $3.50

If I chose "Large Envelope" and "None of the Following", the "First Class Package Service, Retail" price was $1.63.

Given your description, I think the "Large Envelope" is more accurate than choosing "Package" and then the question is which of the suboptions matches--"none of the following" or "rigid" (where the "rigid" description is "does not bend easily"). I'd probably err on the side of higher price and use "rigid" and since the "rigid" pricing matches the "Package" choice--$3.50--you would probably be good to go.

I think first link you posted is not applicable to your case at all as it appears to be for mass mailings. The PDF link has some useful info with definitions with sizing for things like "Large Envelopes" and "Package".

>>My caregiver comes tomorrow and maybe I'll just give him one of the packages so he can stand in line in the post office and ask them how much it costs to mail from Los Angeles to Los Angeles.

I think that's an excellent idea.

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote