DTP


 
Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web


Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Print Production & Automation

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2007, 01:51 PM   #1
George
Member
 
George's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,036
Default FireFox PDF Reader

I didn't know FireFox is a PDF Reader!!! I had just posted in the Foxit thread that Adobe Acrobat Reader 8 works very nice, but in truth, for very large files it can still be klunky. Then, I saw Windows gives me the option to open with FF. I opened some big files, and it was fast and smooth. I opened a Gutenberg Bible and besides being fast, it had a nicer visual appearance. And FF has some options that AAR does not -- like print preview.

Something new that is nice everyday!!! I guess it will never stop!!

George
George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 05:01 PM   #2
dthomsen8
Member
 
dthomsen8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA 19130
Posts: 2,158
Default Firefox is a PDF Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by George View Post
I didn't know FireFox is a PDF Reader!!! I had just posted in the Foxit thread that Adobe Acrobat Reader 8 works very nice, but in truth, for very large files it can still be klunky. Then, I saw Windows gives me the option to open with FF. I opened some big files, and it was fast and smooth. I opened a Gutenberg Bible and besides being fast, it had a nicer visual appearance. And FF has some options that AAR does not -- like print preview.
George,

Tell us just how this works. It may depend on your computer's file setups, or it may be good for all of us.

David
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 06:24 AM   #3
George
Member
 
George's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,036
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthomsen8 View Post
George,

Tell us just how this works. It may depend on your computer's file setups, or it may be good for all of us.

David
I right clicked on the PDF. A menu screen appears. I scrolled to "Open with." A side menu appears, giving me the options of "AAR8, FF, MSWord." I thought FF would be in the browser, but it opened in a PDF reader. It's very nice. But it depends on how the PDF was made as far as appearance. I'm using WinXP, always updated. I had no idea FF also gave me a PDF reader.

George
George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 06:52 AM   #4
ktinkel
Founding Sysop
 
ktinkel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.
Posts: 11,187
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by George View Post
I had no idea FF also gave me a PDF reader.
Are you sure it does? I use FF 2.0.0.6, and have the prefs set to open PDFs in “the default application,” which in my case is the Preview app included with Mac OS X. (Used to be Acrobat, but it was too slow.)

The other Firefox choices are to open with “this application” that you choose from your apps; to “save them” on your computer; or to “use this plugin.”

None of those options sound as if Firefox itself opens PDFs.

Safari does open them, nicely, in a browser window, set off by a grey frame containing a few tools for dealing with the file. But unless you are playing with the version 3 beta, I don’t suppose you use Safari.

   
__________________
[SIZE=2][COLOR=LemonChiffon]::[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ktinkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 07:05 AM   #5
dthomsen8
Member
 
dthomsen8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA 19130
Posts: 2,158
Default Different choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by George View Post
I right clicked on the PDF. A menu screen appears. I scrolled to "Open with." A side menu appears, giving me the options of "AAR8, FF, MSWord." I thought FF would be in the browser, but it opened in a PDF reader. It's very nice. But it depends on how the PDF was made as far as appearance. I'm using WinXP, always updated. I had no idea FF also gave me a PDF reader.

George

This result must be because of different plug-ins, and maybe settings in WinXP for extensions, too. I did what you suggested, and the choices are the FoxIt reader and Internet Explorer, but not Firefox. I tried the pull-down list, and a big variety of other programs appear, but no Firefox there, either.

I did the Internet Explorer choice, and it does show the PDF with the usual IE menus and navigation, better, I think, than the FoxIt reader. I have not yet installed the Adobe Acrobat 8 Reader on this new computer. I would expect that to be a choice when I install it. Firefox Plug-ins include AA8, and it also has a download extension for a PDF, too.

Thanks, George, for an interesting post, which leads to more questions on setup for both Firefox and PDF readers. Others, try this and tell us what you learn.
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 07:07 AM   #6
dthomsen8
Member
 
dthomsen8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA 19130
Posts: 2,158
Default Safari

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel View Post
Are you sure it does? I use FF 2.0.0.6, and have the prefs set to open PDFs in “the default application,” which in my case is the Preview app included with Mac OS X. (Used to be Acrobat, but it was too slow.)

The other Firefox choices are to open with “this application” that you choose from your apps; to “save them” on your computer; or to “use this plugin.”

None of those options sound as if Firefox itself opens PDFs.

Safari does open them, nicely, in a browser window, set off by a grey frame containing a few tools for dealing with the file. But unless you are playing with the version 3 beta, I don’t suppose you use Safari.
I have installed Safari 3 Beta, so I will try that, too. Everybody seems to see different things, see my other post.
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 08:41 AM   #7
George
Member
 
George's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,036
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel View Post
Are you sure it does?

Safari does open them, nicely
Yes, I'm sure it does. I tried IE, and it opens the documents as a PDF reader, and with documents having weak fonts, it comes out the best. I tried Safari, and it doesn't open PDFs.

For me Safari is way slow. maybe, due to Windows, or due to not having proxy compatibility. FF is the best and fastest for me, I think because of how it goes with the proxy. Opera is second. I haven't tried IE7 on the internet, cause I thought it might break my monitor or hard drive or something.

George
George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 08:47 AM   #8
George
Member
 
George's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,036
Default

Dave,

You might try FF under the "choose program" option. I saw the AAR plug-in at the FF home page. I didn't see the PDF extension. Maybe, I had downloaded that when I did my add-ons, (but dang, they sure do have a lot of them now).

If you haven't tried the lastest versions of AAR, I can tell you they are much improved.

George
George is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Foxit PDF Reader dthomsen8 Print Production & Automation 4 08-30-2007 05:12 AM
Sony Portable Reader curveto Hardware & Gadgets 16 06-05-2007 05:48 AM
Problems installing Acrobat Reader in VISTA Hugh Wyn Griffith General Publishing Topics 6 01-16-2007 07:15 PM
40tude Dialog news reader Andrew B. The Corner Pub 1 04-10-2006 09:25 PM
Acrobat Reader throws up error Hugh Wyn Griffith The Corner Pub 12 03-22-2006 03:33 PM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Contents copyright 2004–2019 Desktop Publishing Forum and its members.