DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Web Site Building & Maintenance

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-01-2005, 02:18 PM   #1
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.
Default Open source HTML editor

If you like using a dedicated HTML/CSS editor to create web pages (instead of a text editor or a full-fledged program like Dreamweaver or GoLive), you may want to look at Nvu, now in its second beta version for Linux, Max OS X, and Windows. (Just having one app for all platforms can be useful.)

It is meant to compete with the Composer in Netscape or Mozilla, and is said to be better than FrontPage. I have been playing with it, and don’t know whether I would find it more useful than good old BBEdit — but I would have to learn it to be sure.

GIGO still applies, but it may simplify some coding, and it has some site management features that could come in handy. (If I actually use it for something I’ll let you know how it works.)

You can download it from the link above. Let us know how well it works (and do remember that it is a beta).