DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Images

Old 08-16-2006, 03:17 AM   #1
Dav.B

Default Adjusting colour in photoshop

Hi,

I have scanned in some pics of people (from transparencies) and when viewed in photoshop the pictures have come out quite dark. In particular the faces of the people are quite red. Does anyone have any good tips for improving the colour of the faces in photoshop without altering too dramatically the colour throughout the image.

Thanks

Dav.B
Dav.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 05:49 AM   #2
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav.B
I have scanned in some pics of people (from transparencies) and when viewed in photoshop the pictures have come out quite dark. In particular the faces of the people are quite red. Does anyone have any good tips for improving the colour of the faces in photoshop without altering too dramatically the colour throughout the image.
How did you scan them? With a transparency adapter on a flatbed scanner, or in a dedicated transparency scanner?

As for trying to fix them in Photoshop, you can work on each layer of the image. I am no Photoshop whiz, but suspect that is where you start.

You can also look in Image > Adjustments > Variations to fiddle with each color as well as levels. (Maybe best used as a diagnostic aid than a remedy, though — you can fool around and see how it looks, then cancel if you’re afraid you’ve gone too far.)

::

Old 08-16-2006, 06:45 AM   #3
Howard White

Many (large) books have been written on this subject. Eventually, you will want to understand Levels and Curves (including masking so you can work on just a specific area such as a face.)
In th short term and quick 'n dirty, use Image>Adjustments> Auto Levels and Auto Contrast. (You can also use Auto Color, but I find it is often likely to produce bad results that need to be undone.)
Resist the temptation to use the Brightness and Contrast options; they seem sometimes to help, but in the process destroy much information you would want later.
Suggestion: instead of working on the main (background) layer, duplicate it in the Levels palette and work on the copy - makes it easier to clean up after yourself. (Of course if you really mess up, you can always Revert -- just don't mess up your original scan by saving bad corrections over the original file.)

HW
Howard White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 04:41 PM   #4
Andrew B.
Staff

Sometimes faces look too red because the photo is too dark or too saturated. IOW, don't target the face color before trying a routine adjustment. As for how to begin, seeing the photo would help a lot.
Andrew B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 02:10 PM   #5
terrie
Sysop

Quote:
Dav. B: I have scanned in some pics of people (from transparencies) and when viewed in photoshop the pictures have come out quite dark. In particular the faces of the people are quite red. Does anyone have any good tips for improving the colour of the faces in photoshop without altering too dramatically the colour throughout the image.
What hardware and software did you use to scan the slides?

It's not unusual that the resulting scan might not have "good" color.

In Photoshop, I'd probably start with a Levels Adjustment layer (Layer > New Adjustment Layer > Levels) and see what moving both the black and white sliders would get me...

Let me know if you need more detail on how to do this...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote