DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Hardware & Gadgets

Old 12-14-2008, 03:38 PM   #1
Franca
Staff

Default Best giant external hard drive (for PC)?

I've done a Google search for info and reviews on the current selection of large external drives and haven't really found a consensus as to which might be best.

In addition to the gigabytes of image files we already have, we will soon be tackling a music project involving converting all of our vinyl albums to digital format and those music files will be huge. Where to park them?

Franca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 05:14 PM   #2
Susie

Franca - have you searched some of the terabyte drives. It seems these would be large enough to fit your needs. One of the gals over on cooks does a tremendous amount of photography, and this is what she invested in. I can't even imagine that much HD space, although I'm sure I would have little trouble filling it.

Old 12-14-2008, 05:19 PM   #3
Franca
Staff

Terabytes? OMG. O M G! I'm barely used to gigabytes, LOL! Must have a peek at those. The idea of filling up a drive that size is scary. Even scarier - backing up that much data! Better buy two.

Old 12-14-2008, 05:35 PM   #4
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franca View Post
Terabytes? OMG. O M G! I'm barely used to gigabytes, LOL! Must have a peek at those. The idea of filling up a drive that size is scary. Even scarier - backing up that much data! Better buy two.
At this point a terrabyte drive is quite reasonable. You might also consider two or three 750 GB drives that overlap somehow, just for security.

Do you have a Costco? Go see what’s going on. Drive sizes are rising faster than human egos! <g>

Old 12-14-2008, 06:01 PM   #5
Franca
Staff

Oh, yes ... there is a Costco, but I have avoided signing up or setting foot in it for years. Every now and then I hear of a pretty good reason (wine, cheese) to reconsider my views on going there but nothing has quite tipped me over the edge. There are two of them, actually, and we are just in between them, making neither one a particularly convenient destination. On top of that I really hate shopping in "superstores" and the notion of paying an annual fee for the privilege of shopping somewhere I practically have to be dragged to lacks appeal. Something must be wrong with me.

Old 12-14-2008, 06:37 PM   #6
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Something must be wrong with me.
Well, not necessarily!

I like Costco because, unlike many big-box stores, its management makes choices that please me. They have lovely olive oil (the new crop just hit the stores, in fact) and duck and seafood and, as supermarket bread goes — and where you live you have other, probably better choices — theirs is excellent. They have the best roasted chickens (larger, less overdone, unseasoned). Etc.

If they have a book you want (and especially cook books), the price will be really low.

And they have the best prices on computer stuff so long as it is something you want: DVDs or CDs, hard drives, etc.

But you can look elsewhere, of course. It is just that I kind of trust the Costco judgment.

Old 12-14-2008, 09:16 PM   #7
Franca
Staff

I have heard the same - that they make good choices regarding the items they sell. We may reconsider ... again.

Old 12-15-2008, 06:55 AM   #8
iamback

Quote:
Terabyte drives were on my shopping list for the recent computer fair - though I ended up buying two at a store in Haarlem (a EUR3.20 short train ride way) who simply had the best price for Samsung Spinpoint SATA drives (32Mb cache and all). I bought a cradle that takes both 2.5" and 3.5" drives (one at a time) at the fair though (plus more stuff, almost all storage-related, my priority this year).

I'm planning to use the two drives with the cradle for backups of my other external drives, swapping them out once every week. That way I can dedicate my other external drives for one (main) purpose each, without bothering with duplicating them in pairs.

Another system worth looking at for large-capacity storage is the Drobo - beyond my budget for now, but I'm drooling: you can easily combine different sizes of drives in one system (hot-swappable, too, nothing to install).

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 02:34 PM   #9
Hugh Wyn Griffith

Hard to beat NewEgg for stuff like that!

If you are up to DIY consider buying a Seagate internal hard drive OEM from them and putting it into a case you can buy from them because most/all of the Seagate come with a 5 year warranty! Retail including the externals come with 1 year warranties.

As someone mentions there is a case to be made for having two mid sized drives instead of one very large one -- for safety.

Hugh
Hugh Wyn Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 08:41 PM   #10
marlene
Staff

For those of us technically challenged folk for whom DIY is not an option, there are some externals with good warranties.

My Seagate FreeAgent Pro (750 GB, the model with FW, USB and eSATA) has a 5-year warranty, which is one of the reasons I bought it.

And a quick google tells me that at least some of the Maxtor externals also have a 5-year warranty. (Makes sense, since Seagate and Maxtor got married.)

I'm shopping for another external myself. I'm leaning toward another FreeAgent, since my current one has performed flawlessly (so far).

mxh
marlene is offline   Reply With Quote