DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > How to Use the Forum

Old 06-19-2008, 08:57 AM   #1
Richard Waller

Default Red means ready to read

But when I have read something it still comes up red, and the marker on the list of topics tomorrow will be red again even if there is nothing new.

Richard Waller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 01:54 PM   #2
iamback

Make sure you are logged in and store permanent cookies for the forum.

BTW, I never see red, only boring-old orange-and-blue.

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 02:02 PM   #3
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamback View Post
Make sure you are logged in and store permanent cookies for the forum.

BTW, I never see red, only boring-old orange-and-blue.
You might see red if you hover.

Old 06-21-2008, 11:35 AM   #4
iamback

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel View Post
You might see red if you hover.
Hover on what? Icons are orange-and-blue and links are blue or orange on hover - only the top menu bar has red in it (which rather stands out by its different in color). Were you referring to the top menu bar then? (I never use that!)

Old 06-21-2008, 12:16 PM   #5
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamback View Post
Hover on what? Icons are orange-and-blue and links are blue or orange on hover - only the top menu bar has red in it (which rather stands out by its different in color). Were you referring to the top menu bar then? (I never use that!)
The breadcrumb items turn red on hover, and so do the messages in the thread view at the top of the screen.

Old 06-21-2008, 12:59 PM   #6
iamback

Quote:
The breadcrumb items turn red on hover, and so do the messages in the thread view at the top of the screen.
Breadcrumbs for me have exactly the same (dark) orange hover color as all links do!
PHP Code:
a:visitedbody_avisited (line 14)
{
color#22229c;
}
a:hovera:activebody_ahover (line 18)
{
color#ff4400;

Quite enough green in there to make it orange, not red. (I picked that up with the developer toolbar in Firefox, via the "View Style Information feature, when selecting a link in the breadcrumbs.)

And I don't use thread view, of course, and only very very occasionally jump into hybrid view, but are those links any different than any other links? I thought not. The style quoted above for the breadcrumbs is a generic link style.

Now this is red: - and some of the icons in the thread list have some red in then (fading from orange, again). Seriously, the only real read I see is in the top menu bar.

Old 06-21-2008, 01:41 PM   #7
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

This is interesting. When I view the breadcrumbs or thread listings in Firefox, I would say the color tilts toward orange, though a reddish orange.

In Safari, it is distinctly red, though not the deepest red.

When I make a nice fat block of the color in ColorSchemer, it is a rich red-orange.

So I guess you pay your money and take your choice! (I am attaching screen shots; if you squint at the thumbnails, you can see a difference in the small images. Or at least I can.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	safari-red.png
Views:	157
Size:	10.2 KB
ID:	1293   Click image for larger version

Name:	firefox-red.png
Views:	156
Size:	10.1 KB
ID:	1294   Click image for larger version

Name:	schemer-red.png
Views:	153
Size:	9.9 KB
ID:	1295  

Old 06-21-2008, 02:39 PM   #8
iamback

Quote:
This is interesting. When I view the breadcrumbs or thread listings in Firefox, I would say the color tilts toward orange, though a reddish orange.
I'll grant you "reddish" but reddish orange is what I see!

Quote:
In Safari, it is distinctly red, though not the deepest red.
Odd, but that explains it. My MacBook at least shows colors very differently than my PC does - and that's not just Safari. Less saturated, and I think darker as well.

Could somehow color profiles play a role? I think Firefox is planning actual support for profiles, but I didn't think it was already doing anything with them. Maybe it is, if on the same mac it shows that color differently than Safari does! Somehow.

Old 06-21-2008, 02:48 PM   #9
terrie
Staff

Quote:
marjolein: Could somehow color profiles play a role? I think Firefox is planning actual support for profiles, but I didn't think it was already doing anything with them. Maybe it is, if on the same mac it shows that color differently than Safari does! Somehow.
Yes...Safari does use whatever monitor profile is assigned...on the pc side, no web browser is color managed--at this point...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 06:06 PM   #10
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrie View Post
Yes...Safari does use whatever monitor profile is assigned...on the pc side, no web browser is color managed--at this point...
Ah. Figured it must have to do with that.

But it is interesting that Safari and Firefox show such different colors on the same system.