DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > How to Use the Forum

Old 02-14-2005, 09:06 AM   #1
fhaber

Default RSS 1 and 2!

Hoo-ha!

I can read your RSS feed in Feed Demon (as a guest), and then, when I open a thread in a regular browser window (an option), I'm logged in, with my defaults, navigating normally, and can reply! That's a feature!

-Frank, who normally uses one bang a month, but is impressed today
fhaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 09:27 AM   #2
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhaber
Hoo-ha!

I can read your RSS feed in Feed Demon (as a guest), and then, when I open a thread in a regular browser window (an option), I'm logged in, with my defaults, navigating normally, and can reply! That's a feature!

-Frank, who normally uses one bang a month, but is impressed today
Yahoo! So tell us how to do it. And what should we do to allow you to read that way as a member? (Assuming you know.)

How is that different from an OLR? (I know — I am a dunce.)

Old 02-14-2005, 11:09 AM   #3
fhaber

RSS is quite different from anything else. You might even call it (quick, take some Emetrol; I'm about to use a buzzword) a new paradigm.

At its simplest level, it's a better replacement for mail-lists/listservs. It's also a blogging tool, for unpassworded sites. But it's more - it's the successor to the "push" websites of eight years ago. You categorize the content you want aggregated, and the program (the "RSS reader") does the retrieval on a schedule. All you have to do is find time to read it all. There's the rub, or as they say in NYC, oy.

I'm sure Google plus the accumulated wisdom of the Mac users here can find you a reader. I think Thunderbird has one, if you have that loaded. One of the competing "standards" for RSS grew from the head of Dave Winer, so RSS has deep Mac roots, and may even be in Safari.
Old 02-14-2005, 11:29 AM   #4
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
RSS is quite different from anything else.
Thanks. I think I have a reader. But I don’t have instructions, and nowadays my brain resists doing any original work! <g>

But you have intrigued me. Would it satisfy the OLR gang, do you think? I guess that is my real question.

Old 02-14-2005, 11:46 AM   #5
fhaber

>Would it satisfy the OLR gang, do you think?

Smartass answer: nothing ever will. In fact, your question is multiple questions. No modern program is going to have the blinding speed and singlekey (hotkey) operation of something like TAPCIS on all hardware. And - no one's designing around the offline model these days - we're all always connected, except for the rural and the recalcitrant. And frankly, rich content, with all its safety and bandwidth problems, is completely addictive.

More importantly, no one understands what TAP, OZ and perhaps Mac Nav discovered fifteen years ago - that truly flexible navigation around a threaded text database can obviate much quoting, improve communication, and generally Make the World a Little Better. It really doesn't matter whether the database is on or offline (IMO). It's all in the referential fluidity. And Paradise *also* requires an audience, a userbase who's fluent in semi-linear discourse, neh? Thats, uh, becoming increasingly rare. I'll leave the cause/effect and Spenglerian ramifications of that to another discussion.

-end bloviation
Old 02-15-2005, 07:53 PM   #6
djb

Default Olr/rss//nntp?

Quote:
>Would it satisfy the OLR gang, do you think?

Smartass answer: nothing ever will. In fact, your question is multiple questions. No modern program is going to have the blinding speed and singlekey (hotkey) operation of something like TAPCIS on all hardware. And - no one's designing around the offline model these days - we're all always connected, except for the rural and the recalcitrant. And frankly, rich content, with all its safety and bandwidth problems, is completely addictive.

More importantly, no one understands what TAP, OZ and perhaps Mac Nav discovered fifteen years ago - that truly flexible navigation around a threaded text database can obviate much quoting, improve communication, and generally Make the World a Little Better. It really doesn't matter whether the database is on or offline (IMO). It's all in the referential fluidity. And Paradise *also* requires an audience, a userbase who's fluent in semi-linear discourse, neh? Thats, uh, becoming increasingly rare. I'll leave the cause/effect and Spenglerian ramifications of that to another discussion.
-end bloviation
The NNTP protocol has much to offer for the OLR crowd, with a good newsreader. I hope this forum will be able to offer a news feed similar to what the Adobe forums do. It very easy to manage and "just works".

djb
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 08:14 PM   #7
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Just works except when it just quits. Nottaclue what I did to offend it but U2U suddenly stopped talking to Virtual Access yesterday. Sigh.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 08:32 PM   #8
djb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Rindsberg
Just works except when it just quits. Nottaclue what I did to offend it but U2U suddenly stopped talking to Virtual Access yesterday. Sigh.
I view the Adobe forae using Thoth (Panther dot three eight) and never have problems.
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 08:39 PM   #9
Andrew B.
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by djb
The NNTP protocol has much to offer for the OLR crowd, with a good news reader. I hope this forum will be able to offer a news feed similar to what the Adobe forums do. It very easy to manage and "just works".djb
NNTP ability was high on our list as we looked around. Bottom line, all the possibilities (which were few) either cost too much, were too unstable, or were clunky on the web interface end of things. OTOH, someone with knowledge of vBulletin and Python could adapt Papercut to work with vBulletin, and this would allow a news reader to communicate directly with vBulletin. IOW, no need to set up an NNTP server to share messages and talk with the news readers.
Andrew B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 07:43 PM   #10
Molly/CA

Maybe we need a handbook. Cruising through the messages here, I suddenly came upon your message --with a photo of me (my current "avatar") lower left. I hovered the cursor over it and it said "Andrew B. is online now." And interesting (if disconcerting feature!
Molly/CA is offline   Reply With Quote