DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > The Corner Pub

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-08-2012, 03:15 PM   #1
Andrew B.
Staff

Default Kindle PC

I finally got around to checking out Kindle PC, after realizing Amazon allows users to download the first chapter for free. I always get bored reading, and never get beyond the first chapter. So this will be an endless source of free books for me. Just kidding. But I was motivated by a free first chapter so I could see how well a book works with my screen reader. Turns out it works, and adds a statement about the book at the end of each section I read. This could get old after awhile, but so be it. They want to add this in case someone does a copy and paste.

And now that I've seen this I have an opinion on using Kindle. If I simply wanted to read a story this is great. But trying to use it with a reference book that relies on links, it gets to be a pain after awhile. I start to miss using a browser, with its multiple tabs, mouse gestures, quick navigation, and easy bookmarking system. I also miss being able to scroll.