DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Software

Old 06-04-2013, 05:14 PM   #1
dthomsen8

Default MYWEBSEARCH deletion

I am attempting to remove MYWEBSEARCH from my Internet Explorer browser on my new Win 7 computer. Most online advice says it is hard.

It does not appear on the Program list for removals in any form. It does seem to go away with the IE Tasks Advanced setting for restoring to the IE defaults, but it is right back there the next time IE starts. I mainly use Firefox, but a few things only work on IE. Fortunately, the Win XP Pro is still chugging along, and my wife's Win 7 computer (identical to mine) isnot infected.

Any suggestions? Norton AntiVirus doesn't call MYWEBSEARCH a virus, but I want it gone. It does affect all searches on Google.
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 07:04 PM   #2
Andrew B.
Staff

Did you try uninstalling from Control Panel? And also try the going to the IE addons feature? If so, I would search the hard disk to see if I can find its folder. But maybe someone here knows about a special tool.

Old 06-05-2013, 07:33 AM   #3
dthomsen8

Default Not in uninstall list

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew B. View Post
Did you try uninstalling from Control Panel? And also try the going to the IE addons feature? If so, I would search the hard disk to see if I can find its folder. But maybe someone here knows about a special tool.
It is not in the uninstall list, even though some websites suggest uninstalling.
Old 06-04-2013, 08:17 PM   #4
terrie
Sysop

In IE see Tools > Internet Options > Programs tab, click on the "Manage Add-ons" button, in the "Show" section, choose "All Add-ons" and see if the crapware is hiding there. Highlight and you should be able to Disable and maybe even remove.

Also, try Malwarebytes Antimalware (free)--to see if it will get rid of it as it's pretty good at that sort of thing. You might also try the free version of RevoUninstaller--scroll down to the bottom of the page and see the link on the middle left side of the page. The free version won't see/record 64bit versions of software so hopefully it's 32 bit. Also check Revo's options because I think the default it to make a backup copy and you don't want to do that.

Hope that helps...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 07:38 AM   #5
dthomsen8

I am trying your suggestion about Manage Add-ons, but I think I tried it and the MYWEBSEARCH came right back.

It is not in the uninstall list, even though some websites suggest uninstalling. I wrote to RevoUninstaller, because it is not in their free version.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:33 AM   #6
terrie
Sysop

Sorry Revo didn't help...I did a quick browser search and found a malwarebytes blog post that might be useful--scroll down towards the bottom--and also see the thread at the Malwarebytes forum...

Also see this safer-networking page...because it ref's the Registry key(s)...

Oh! Just had a thought...there is an option in the Control Panel to show "all programs"/"system programs"/updates--can't remember the option in Add/Remove programs (maybe Revo also) and I wonder if it might be hiding there?

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 06:11 PM   #7
dthomsen8

Default link bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrie View Post
Sorry Revo didn't help...I did a quick browser search and found a malwarebytes blog post that might be useful--scroll down towards the bottom--and also see the thread at the Malwarebytes forum...

Also see this safer-networking page...because it ref's the Registry key(s)...

Oh! Just had a thought...there is an option in the Control Panel to show "all programs"/"system programs"/updates--can't remember the option in Add/Remove programs (maybe Revo also) and I wonder if it might be hiding there?

Terrie
The safer-networking page link doesn't go.

Last edited by dthomsen8; 06-05-2013 at 06:12 PM. Reason: typo