DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Web Site Building & Maintenance

Old 03-14-2007, 12:02 PM   #1
LoisWakeman
Staff

Default Weird hardware/router problem?

Pate has recently got a new laptop which runs Vista, and he has a really odd problem in picking up email and accessing certain servers on my web host's network (for 2 days now). Superficially, it looks like a routing glitch, as a tracert times out after 18 hops to the affected sites.

So I fired up my (XP) laptop and can see the sites fine; the tracert is different after the first few hops and doesn't time out.

As we are both on the same LAN and the router does NAT: how can the outside world tell that it needs to follow a different route for the two machines? The tracerts are reproducible over time, so it isn't just transient changes.

[Edit]: the other difference is that one machine (XP) is in a domain and the other (Vista) isn't, but they both use the same router.

I'm going to have some wine now before I pull all my hair out! See you tomorrow.

Last edited by LoisWakeman; 03-15-2007 at 01:03 AM. Reason: extra info
LoisWakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 12:19 PM   #2
Kelvyn
Staff

Are you perchance using NTL or Tiscali?

Web site design, hosting and marketing, Keswick in the UK Lake District

If you are planning a visit to Keswick then try Keswick Tourist Information website

Kelvyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 04:35 PM   #3
dthomsen8

Default A clue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoisWakeman View Post
... I fired up my (XP) laptop and can see the sites fine; the tracert is different after the first few hops and doesn't time out.
Have you tried doing a tracert for other places than your hosting site? That might provide a clue.
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 12:50 AM   #4
LoisWakeman
Staff

No, BT Business broadband. I'm intrigued by why Tiscali or NTL would cause such a problem though?
Old 03-15-2007, 12:52 AM   #5
LoisWakeman
Staff

Yes: the sites that do load on the suspect laptop follow more or less the same route as the OK one. The sites that fail use a very different path after about 5 hops; on the OK laptop and another machine I just tried this morning, all sites use the same path.

It all seems totally illogical!
Old 03-15-2007, 02:07 AM   #6
Kelvyn
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoisWakeman View Post
I'm intrigued by why Tiscali or NTL would cause such a problem though?
NTL have been having routing issues recently causing web servers using Lynx/NTL connectivity to become unavailable. Supposedly this is being/has been fixed?? Reported also to have been a problem for Tiscali users.

There have been reported network issues reported in the way that Vista interacts with routers, such as described here. Others have reported a bug in IPv6 handling in Vista causing nameserver resolution problems. Can the Vista machine access the servers using just the IP address?

If you are planning a visit to Keswick then try Keswick Tourist Information website

Old 03-15-2007, 06:45 AM   #7
LoisWakeman
Staff

Thanks Kelvyn: that looks like it might be a clue! We already tried to turn off IP6 but couldn't: I'll try IP addresses and also look at SPI on the router and see what's happening. As the article you cited says - how the hell did they miss that in beta testing?
Old 03-15-2007, 01:59 PM   #8
groucho
Staff

Lois-
"The sites that fail use a very different path after about 5 hops; "
Guessing here:
Perhaps the Vista machine, using IE7 instead of IE6, is also using IP6 and when the packets hit one certain machine--the one where your tracerts change--that machine is having the problems handling IP6?

Does the Vista machine have routing problems all the time, or only when using one particular browser (IE7?) etc?
groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 12:39 AM   #9
LoisWakeman
Staff

I think you are probably right, groucho: it affects FireFox and both Windows Mail and Thunderbird, as well as IE7. And there is also the SPI issue in the link that Kelvyn sent: but we have no intention of turning off the router firewall for this machine.

What I don't understand is why the routing is different for some sites but not others in the same IP block.

Oh well, I guess lots of others will be having similar problems and a fix will be issued: but that isn't the point really. MS must have known that our setup is very common, and should have tested (or even better, not included/made optional) IP6 support.

I can't test IP access to the affected sites as it is denied (they probably use host headers to host mutliple sites per IP I guess.)
Old 03-16-2007, 01:23 AM   #10
Kelvyn
Staff

Lois, you can disable IPv6 in Vista to see if that resolves the issue. Not for the fainthearted, though. See this Technet article