DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Print Production & Automation

Old 01-31-2005, 03:51 PM   #1
PeterArnel

Location: North of Swindon in the UK on the edge of the Cotswolds
Default Kodak has bought Creo

Well we are in for another beggers muddle by the look of it. I have about $500,000 of kit and have just gone from Heidelberg to Creo - it is agood job I stayed with Kodak plates
Peter
PeterArnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 04:14 PM   #2
Norman Hathaway

Does this mean Kodak will start selling PowerTone then?
Norman Hathaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 05:03 PM   #3
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterArnel
Well we are in for another beggers muddle by the look of it. I have about $500,000 of kit and have just gone from Heidelberg to Creo - it is agood job I stayed with Kodak plates
Peter
Yow. Is there no end to this madness? (rhetorical question!)

I just read that Creo/Scitex has moved its operations from the Boston area.

And I can remember when Scitex was buying everyone on the planet.

Nevermind. Just an old lady muttering.

Old 02-01-2005, 04:58 PM   #4
PeterArnel

Location: North of Swindon in the UK on the edge of the Cotswolds

Mutter away girl - :-)
I have just about negotiated with Creo to replace one plate setter which produces 16 plates and hour with two that would give me about 50 B2 plates an hour - now its back to the drawing board. WE have just spent over $150,000 moving from Heidelberg Prinergy to Creo Prinergy and Heidelberg fell out with Creo and no loonger support prinergy.
Now - well if I was Kodak I would only be interest in removing Creo from making plates and using and developing the Spire Rip technology to use with the Next digital press they bought off Heidelberg. Why would they want to mess about with systems and pre press where they would compete with Screen ang heidelberg who have no plate production and use Kodak. It has really disrupted the market. I just cannot see anyone wanting buy Creo products now - when the future lools very frail - its agreat shame they have good proper products that work now.
Peter - mmmm well thats a younger mans mutterings

And one other thing Xerox have been promoting Creo Spire Rip as the one to get - bet they love this as well
PeterArnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 08:17 AM   #5
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Mutter away girl - :-)
I have just about negotiated with Creo to replace one plate setter which produces 16 plates and hour with two that would give me about 50 B2 plates an hour - now its back to the drawing board. WE have just spent over $150,000 moving from Heidelberg Prinergy to Creo Prinergy and Heidelberg fell out with Creo and no loonger support prinergy.
That sounds disastrous. How large is (was) that market?

Quote:
It has really disrupted the market. I just cannot see anyone wanting buy Creo products now - when the future lools very frail - its agreat shame they have good proper products that work now.
Peter - mmmm well thats a younger mans mutterings
What will you do next? Or maybe I am wondering how long do you think Prinergy will continue to be viable?

Quote:
And one other thing Xerox have been promoting Creo Spire Rip as the one to get - bet they love this as well
Yeah, I bet. Wonder what they’ll do.

Old 02-19-2005, 10:09 AM   #6
mact

And Kodak has bought out it's partner in the KPG venture, Polychrome Graphics.

For those not up on such matters, some time ago Kodak decided there was no future in film based graphic arts and spun off its graphic products division which promptly merged with Sun Cheical's Polychrome Graphics, andother graphics film supplier. Since then it seems that prepress products doomed to die end up in KPGs hands, such as Color Key and Match Print.

But along the way KPG also acquired some expertise in the electonic end of things. Such that an apparently recent re-examination of the industry by Kodak's Board decided to jump back in and continue to duke it out with Agfa (which has been seriously unmolested in the marketplace for some time). Thus, I hypothesize, the purchase of Creo, the ejection of PG, and the reabsorption of graphic products back under the Yellow and Red.

What effect will it have on the market? Dunno. But having an integrated someone capable of going after Agfa will help keep them honest and can't be bad overall.

$0.02

mact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 12:28 AM   #7
curveto

Location: some room with white padded walls ... now surrounded by Saguaro Cacti

Seems a fitting thread (circa 2005) to re-up.
curveto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 08:42 AM   #8
iamback

Oh, yes. Going, going, gone. Agfa? already gone...

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote