DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Print Design

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-26-2007, 07:11 PM   #1
marlene
Staff

Default QuarkXpress vs. InDesign: pick me a winner

I'm starting to work on a big new project (a magazine) and need to decide whether to use Quark 7 or InDesign (I've got CS2 now, but I'll probably upgrade soon). Both on PC (XP, SP2).

The big advantage of using Quark is that I've used it for many years and I know how to do its thangs, so I can work faster. I'm still learning InDesign, and often have to stop to figure things out or look stuff up (or post messages).

Even though I've done a couple of good-sized projects in InDesign, I can't pick a clear winner. Each program has pros and cons.

I'm getting a lot of old PageMaker files, which open in InDesign, but I have an Xtension that lets me open PM files in Quark (I'm not sure the Xtension works in Quark 7 -- probably not -- but I still have Quark 6.5 installed).

I find InDesign's font handling very annoying, but I guess I'd get used to it. Having to select a font every time instead of just clicking the bold, italic, or bold-italic button involved so much extra work on my last project, my mouse hand hurt. Maybe there's an easier way to select and apply a font that I haven't discovered yet.

And I HATE that there's no keyboard shortcut in InD for making a word nonbreaking (sounds like a small thing but I use that feature in Quark all the time), but maybe that's changed in CS3.

However, I do want to become competent (comfortable and fast) in InDesign, and the only way to do it is to use it, so maybe that's enough reason to do this new project in InD.

Any thoughts on my quandary?

mxh
marlene is offline   Reply With Quote