DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Images

Old 09-25-2006, 09:38 AM   #1
dthomsen8

Default Image Information

Paint Shop Pro provides an "Image Information" window, with the possibility of adding information about the image being edited. See the screen capture of that window below. I tried this with a JPG image, and it seems that the information can be entered, but the information does not stick when the image is saved.

Should this work? Perhaps, should this work with other image types, and not JPG?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	actual01.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	20.9 KB
ID:	706  
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 01:33 PM   #2
iamback

The JPG format allows a comment to be included, apart from the standardized EXIF and IPTC data. You don't mention which version of PSP you're using, but in PSP X there's an "advanced..." button on the tab you show with extra fields that suggest it's somewhat sililar to an old form of IPTC data, but PSP 8 doesn't have that.

I seem to remember having such data "stick" in an older version of PSP but I can't get it to work with PSP 8 - what I enter isn't saved, neither in the comment section, nor in the IPTC data.

If you want to store meta data in your pictures (those formats that support this) you could try the free XnView browser which has good support for IPTC. Careful though that your version of PSP doesn't discard this information on saving modifications (though you can work around that if needed).

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 07:08 AM   #3
dthomsen8

Default PSP 8 Image Information Tests

I have tested Paint Shop Pro 8 Image Information updating. I have learned that some information sticks, and some does not, depending on the image type. I attach some screen captures to illustrate what was saved in GIF, JPG, and PSPIMAGE. All of them keep at least something, but PSPIMAGE saves the most.

Perhaps IRFANVIEW does some of this, too. I will test more later.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1gifi.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	709   Click image for larger version

Name:	1jpgi.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	710   Click image for larger version

Name:	1pspi2.jpg
Views:	208