DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Print Design

Old 05-05-2006, 03:53 PM   #1
Robin Springall

Location: Ealing Common, London W5, where I duplicate CDs and DVDs.
Default Photoshop layers in InDesign?

Is there a way to import a layered PSD file into InDesign (both CS2) and move the PSD layers about? I can see how to turn the layers on and off when importing, but I'd like to be able to do more, eg to stretch the background and create bleed.
Robin Springall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 01:43 PM   #2
terrie
Sysop

Quote:
robin: Is there a way to import a layered PSD file into InDesign (both CS2) and move the PSD layers about?
I don't have CS2 installed (yet!) and so I'm using ID3.01 and I tried placing a layered psd and the psd layers are not accessible but I thought they were supposed to be so I did a search in the Help file on "psd" and in "Importing PSD Files" is states:

"When a Photoshop file is placed in a document, all layers and layer masks are automatically flattened."

Soooo...is CS2 different???

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 02:44 PM   #3
Robin Springall

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrie
When you import a layered PSD you can shoose to turn the individual layers on or off, or elect to use Photoshop's layer visibility instead. But the image is still flattened in ID, and that's a shame.
Old 05-08-2006, 12:15 PM   #4
terrie
Sysop

Quote:
robin: But the image is still flattened in ID, and that's a shame.
Yeah...could you get around it by making the psd layers their own images and then combining in ID??? Probably a pita though...

Terrie
Old 05-08-2006, 02:20 PM   #5
Howard White

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrie

"When a Photoshop file is placed in a document, all layers and layer masks are automatically flattened."
Terrie
From CS2 Help:
"When a Photoshop file is placed in a document, all layers and layer masks are automatically flattened. These changes affect the file inside the InDesign document only--the original Photoshop file is not altered. If you save paths, masks, or alpha channels in a Photoshop file, InDesign can use them to remove backgrounds, or to wrap text around graphics. Graphics that contain paths, masks, or alpha channels act as transparent objects when imported."

Sooo... CS2 isn't different; I thought maybe turning off "Maximum Compatibility" in Photoshop export would make a difference, but seems not.

HW
Howard White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 08:03 AM   #6
Cristen Gillespie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard White
From CS2 Help:
"When a Photoshop file is placed in a document, all layers and layer masks are automatically flattened. These changes affect the file inside the InDesign document only--the original Photoshop file is not altered. If you save paths, masks, or alpha channels in a Photoshop file, InDesign can use them to remove backgrounds, or to wrap text around graphics. Graphics that contain paths, masks, or alpha channels act as transparent objects when imported."

Sooo... CS2 isn't different; I thought maybe turning off "Maximum Compatibility" in Photoshop export would make a difference, but seems not.

HW
Maximize Compatibility creates a flattened copy inside the file that allows other programs (including other versions of PS) to see a file they might not otherwise be able to translate.

You wouldn't really want ID to bring in a layered PSD file as is, would you? I mean, what's ID going to do with Adjustment layers and what are you going to do with 30+ layers where one would do?

Old 05-09-2006, 11:39 AM   #7
Robin Springall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristen Gillespie
I mean, what's ID going to do with Adjustment layers and what are you going to do with 30+ layers where one would do?
Of course you have a point, and that's probably why Adobe decided that ID should flatten the thing. But in some situations it would be nice to have the option to import it flattened or not so you can get at the bottom layer, say, and give it a shove.

Oh, and ID rasterises the text.
Old 05-09-2006, 12:52 PM   #8
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Springall
But in some situations it would be nice to have the option to import it flattened or not so you can get at the bottom layer, say, and give it a shove.
In those cases, why not ask the designer to send you the .psd file? Might save aggravation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Springall
Oh, and ID rasterises the text.
If that is not satisfactory, your customer should create it in the ID document, not in the placed Photoshop image, right?

I have never understood why anyone would try to set type in Photoshop. I know it has become more controllable over earlier versions, but it is really not a typographic tool.

Old 05-09-2006, 01:30 PM   #9
terrie
Sysop

Quote:
howard: I thought maybe turning off "Maximum Compatibility" in Photoshop export would make a difference, but seems not.
Nah...that has to do with backward compatibility to older versions of Photoshop. I hate the fact that there is no way to just set the option of off...'-}}

Terrie
Old 05-09-2006, 01:32 PM   #10
terrie
Sysop

Quote:
kt:I have never understood why anyone would try to set type in Photoshop. I know it has become more controllable over earlier versions, but it is really not a typographic tool.
True but for many things I do, it's quicker and easier to do in Photoshop--single page stuff mostly...

Terrie