DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Business Matters

Old 08-18-2017, 11:20 PM   #1
Ronald

Default Questions about Pitching to New Client

I have a freelance pitch question: This is short notice, but in about 9 hours, I meet with a potential new client about refreshing his branding (business card and possibly logo and ad poster). I spent around five hours developing logo variations and a business card concept that I think he'll really go for, but I started questioning whether or not it's a good idea to make all this to show him in the first meeting before we've agreed to any work being developed.

He admitted to not being creative or graphically capable, he's eager to see what I can do, and I'm certain he'll appreciate having some visuals. But does it give off the wrong signal to have developed multiple graphics before the first meeting? I originally planned on sketching some ideas to show him, but since it's rather simplistic design work, it seemed sensible to flesh it out digitally, and it's not as though I would demand to be paid for this if he backed out, which I doubt would happen. And quite honestly, I was having too much fun designing and just kept playing around with my ideas. Thoughts?
Ronald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 11:25 AM   #2
terrie
Sysop

I have never known the answer to this question either and, I could argue either side...I guess it's a go with your gut sort of thing...

Good luck!

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 12:09 PM   #3
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Since you've already done some pre-work, I'd show it to him but mention "I don't normally produce work like this without an agreement, but I found your business interesting, I want to work with you, I started sketching and one idea just led to another."

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 07:26 PM   #4
Ronald

Thank you. I asked this in a Facebook design group and received a slight majority saying not to design before an agreement. It seems like younger designers are more willing to work and present designs before a formal agreement, claiming that it could invigorate the client. Veterans, however, seem to value their time more and said not to do this as it can cheapen your work, make you look desperate, and break formalities. Both sides made strong points; it comes down to the psychology of the client.

I was on the fence right up to the meeting. He had no design ideas and was eager to see mine, so I chose to show him everything I made (on my phone). He was very pleased and thought I was spot-on. My only slight concern is that I may've slightly undersold myself, but I'm certainly not giving my talent away and when I gave my price range, he was comfortable with it.

I should also note that I live 30 miles away from him, so that motivated me to advance the progress quickly since I only meet with him if I'm coming through town (about twice a month). And we did have a previous talk about the redesigning that led to today's meeting. I may have misled by calling today the first meeting.
Old 08-20-2017, 10:12 AM   #5
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

I understand the advice the others gave you re NOT doing any work up front, but another point in favor of it: some clients have no imagination. Until they see something in front of them, they simply have no idea what they want or don't. With a few possible designs to choose from, they can pick the one they like best (giving you a better idea of their taste) and tell you what they do/don't like about the choice and how they'd like to see it changed. With luck, not "Make it more exciting!" ;-)

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Old 08-20-2017, 12:19 PM   #6
Ronald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Rindsberg View Post
Some clients have no imagination. Until they see something in front of them, they simply have no idea what they want or don't.
That's exactly why I chose to show him my designs. Also, part of why so many people were against showing him my designs probably was because I may've misled them by describing it as our first meeting. We had talked once before in which he came to the conclusion that his logo/card should be redesigned. I offered to take that assignment, and he verbally agreed to begin the conceptualization process.

On a related note, we have yet to sign any official contract, but it's not a major money project (estimated at a little over $200), so I think I'm going to just show him the finished work on my laptop, and assuming he approves, I'll immediately hand him the invoice and see if he has any concerns (we might also incorporate some trade with payment). After payment, I will submit all design files to him or take whatever steps needed to help get it produced. Does this make sense?
Old 08-20-2017, 01:16 PM   #7
terrie
Sysop

Quote:
ronald: Does this make sense?
It does to me. I think it's a reasonable approach...

Terrie
Old 08-21-2017, 06:27 AM   #8
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

>> After payment, I will submit all design files to him or take whatever steps needed to help get it produced. Does this make sense?

Sounds like a reasonable plan. The only caveat I'd mention is that most designers will turn over e.g. a PDF or some other file format that the client can take to their printer of choice (if they want to handle the printing themselves) but not the "source files" that'd allow the client to modify the work.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Old 08-22-2017, 08:47 PM   #9
Ronald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Rindsberg View Post
The only caveat I'd mention is that most designers will turn over e.g. a PDF or some other file format that the client can take to their printer of choice (if they want to handle the printing themselves) but not the "source files" that'd allow the client to modify the work.
Yeah, I would only provide print-ready or screen-ready files and not the work files. Good point. He may eventually have a friend join the company and that would provide a second business card assignment.
Old 08-20-2017, 01:15 PM   #10
terrie
Sysop

Quote:
steve: "I don't normally produce work like this without an agreement, but I found your business interesting, I want to work with you, I started sketching and one idea just led to another."
Good one!!! '-}}

Terrie