DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Hardware & Gadgets

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-23-2010, 01:26 AM   #4
Benwiggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealrocker View Post
He would like to use this mostly for Photoshop work. my bro is not professional, he just getting into it as a hobby.
To be honest, any Mac should be fine for standard Photoshop work, e.g. resizing, colour correction, applying filters, layers, etc. I use PS on my white MacBook 2Ghz with no problems.

Having said that, I believe that you should get as much Mac as you can afford. Macs generally have a long shelf life, so you could be using it 5 years down the line (possibly after a battery replacement!). So you should always get the one with the most oomph.

OS X increasingly passes more and more processing to the GPU, so the better your graphics card, the faster your Mac will be.

Maxing out the RAM will help for performance too. Don't buy extra RAM from Apple: they charge a lot for it. (This is mostly so that if you take your Mac to Apple for repair, they can guarantee that it's not the RAM that's the problem.)
However, a good memory seller like Crucial or Kingston will sell you the same RAM for much cheaper. RAM is easy to install.
Benwiggy is offline   Reply With Quote