DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Web Site Building & Maintenance

Old 12-03-2006, 11:43 AM   #1
dthomsen8

Default Web server redirect

I have been checking search engine simulation at www.delorie.com, and I get the following message:

"Note: The web server returned a "redirect". Search engines may not always follow redirects. The URL below reflect the page I was redirected to."

If this message is correct, isn't this a problem for getting search engine ranking, compared with hosting that does not have a redirect? All my sites seem to get the same message, regardless of the hosting. Is there anything for me to do about it?

Yes, I have written to two web hosting companies about it, but I am also seeking the wise advice of forum members.
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 01:29 PM   #2
iamback

David, not enough information. What exact URLs did you feed to it? Some URLs will always cause a redirect, but search engines know how to handle them (or won't get to see them in the first place).

Tell us exactly what you're doing and we can comment.

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 01:30 PM   #3
Kelvyn
Staff

I can't see a "search engine simulation" there - and everything on that site except the home page seems to be pretty old.

The message you show does not even tell you which web server returned a redirect? Was it just detecting a shared host with all sites under a common IP (not a problem these days) or a 301? Or what?

Web site design, hosting and marketing, Keswick in the UK Lake District

If you are planning a visit to Keswick then try Keswick Tourist Information website

Kelvyn is offline   Reply With Quote