DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > General Publishing Topics

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-08-2018, 01:23 AM   #1
Ronald

Default Question: Ethics of newspaper illustration

Perhaps it's an odd question, but I can't find anywhere else to ask. I'm a local newspaper reporter/photographer who has a lot of creative liberty with what I put in the paper, including the page layout.

Since I love illustration (and would like to take advantage of opportunities to get exposure), I've been thinking about making a cute holiday illustration for the header of our Dec. 20 edition. A cartoon/caricature city mayor would be propped up by the police chief, a sweat bead jumping off her head as she struggles to hold him up, while he places a star atop a Christmas tree (which takes the place of a capital "A" in the paper's name). On the other side of the tree, the fire chief would be using his truck ladder to string Christmas lights on the tree. I'd given them a good real-life likeness, but in a cartoon fashion, perhaps like School House Rock.

Our paper suffers from low subscriptions and I figure this would be a fun, attention-grabber. But I then started wondering if it could run into journalistic ethics questions or be interpreted negatively. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Ronald is offline   Reply With Quote