DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > General Publishing Topics

Old 03-11-2005, 11:33 AM   #1
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.
Default MacSupport forum is closing

According to an announcement posted this morning, the Mac Support forum on CompuServe will close at the end of March.

From forum manager Binky Melnik’s statement:
At the end of this month, this forum, the Mac Support forum, will close. CompuServe sees things going in one way, and I in another way, and so we mutually (and amicably) agreed to call it quits.

I know a lot of you who've felt this was a long time in coming will prolly still feel a knot in your belly reading this (I know *I* do), but when you look at it, we lasted waaaaaaaay longer than we ever thought we would! We sure defied a lot of odds and obstacles. And we managed to do it in spite of a lack of software, cookie problems, and software that doesn't work well for us. We should be really proud of ourselves!
You can read the closing announcement thread at the CIS forum.

Binky has set up Snarkish, an independent web forum that embraces not only Mac issues but pop culture (movies, music, celebrity gossip, etc.). Although pop culture is one of my weak points, I have been enjoying some of the writing there, especially Paul Idol’s preview of the recent Oscar nominations and Ray Offiah’s cranky rant at computer pundits.

Binky has a long history and strong ties to Apple (she once worked there), so she will work to build up Snarkish’s Mac support now that the CIS forum is closing.

Anyway, thought we should announce this, and welcome Snarkish as our neighbor on the web.

Old 03-11-2005, 03:54 PM   #2
terrie
Staff

Not unexpected but sad nonetheless...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 05:42 PM   #3
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrie
Not unexpected but sad nonetheless...
I’ll say!!

Old 03-13-2005, 05:24 PM   #4
JVegVT

That's really sad. It shows how far CompuServe has fallen from its former glory.

I wonder what CompuServe's vision of itself is. No Mac presence, nothing on desktop publishing, consolidations happening all the time--how long till the rest of it closes?

It's good that we're here and not dependent on a failing service. Thanks very much to you and the others who set us up.
--Judy M.
JVegVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 08:46 PM   #5
don Arnoldy
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVegVT
how long till the rest of it closes?
Based on a few observations, I'd say it won't be long before what remains of the service become Netscape Forums and CIS ceases to exist--I give it no more than a year.

Old 03-14-2005, 03:20 PM   #6
JVegVT

Quote:
Originally Posted by don Arnoldy
Based on a few observations, I'd say it won't be long before what remains of the service become Netscape Forums and CIS ceases to exist--I give it no more than a year.
If that does happen, I wonder if it'll just be a new name on the door or if the character of the better forums will be changed. There still are forums with expertise and a good community spirit and if that persists through changes, something good will remain.

The alternative is that the few remaining forums with some vitality will fade out just like the ones that have closed as membership drops.
--Judy M.
JVegVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 10:58 PM   #7
carusoswi

This reply is a bit OT (well, a bit wide of the topic, actually). I just received replies in my CIS email that guided me to the new location of this forum. I missed the CIS announcements that it was moving off of CIS.

I had not visited the DTP Forum on CIS for quite a while, but, then, a couple of months ago, I upgraded from PM7 to IDCS (a friend talked me into it, although I could not see why upgrading was so important).

Anyhow, a search for tips in learning that new application (well, it's new to me), led me back into the forums, and I was just thinking to myself how CIS still retains some value, after all (I've been a subscription paying member since at least 1986 or so when I got fed up with changes at AppleTalk or AppleAmerica or whatever the service that was eventually to become AOL was called then). Anyhow, I was offline for a couple of weeks, tried to come back to the forum, and, poof, it was gone.

So, (and please forgive me if this belongs elsewhere), do you all still belong to CIS, connect to the internet with CIS as your ISP? If you were me, would you continue to use CIS as your ISP?

I just installed Firefox as my default browser and Thunderbird as my new email client - and have succeeded in configuring TB to retrieve my CIS messages, so I no longer need to sign on to my Classic account to open my CIS email. News content and the front page seem almost comical these days compared to what I used to see. It seems you're lucky to find two decent new articles on the front page, anymore, and all that half comical links to stuff "you need to know" that I find so light-hearted when I finally get there, that, usually I don't bother following the links, anymore.

So, I'm sitting here, having been surprised to find that the DTP forum has moved away from CIS, now reading that the MAC forum is doing the same, and I'm now wondering more than ever if I shouldn't just can CIS, save my money, and go to some cheaper or free ISP.

Comments (even scoldings) welcome.

Caruso
carusoswi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 06:12 AM   #8
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by carusoswi
So, (and please forgive me if this belongs elsewhere), do you all still belong to CIS, connect to the internet with CIS as your ISP? If you were me, would you continue to use CIS as your ISP?
I have DSL through my local phone company, and have been using that even for CompuServe for five or six years. And I use Eudora for e-mail, and it also collects CIS mail. I am also a “classic” CIS member — not sure why, exactly, as I don’t actively use the e-mail address and usually find the CIS mailbox full of spam. But I participate in a couple of forums there, and am on staff on INETPUB (Internet Publishing) forum.

But you need not join the service to participate in (or even work for) the forums, so it is not an either-or proposition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carusowi
I'm now wondering more than ever if I shouldn't just can CIS, save my money, and go to some cheaper or free ISP.

Comments (even scoldings) welcome.
Well, no scoldings, that’s for sure! We left CIS because CompuServe is going away from what most of our members joined up to get: Intelligent discussion and advice among knowledgeable peers.

So welcome to the club! :-)

Old 03-19-2005, 02:41 AM   #9
carusoswi

Ktinkel: "Well, no scoldings, that’s for sure! We left CIS because CompuServe is going away from what most of our members joined up to get: Intelligent discussion and advice among knowledgeable peers."

I'm not old, but, no spring chicken, either. I can recall "The Source", that magical place out there that I could connect to at 300 baud - oh, it was so exciting. The source went belly-up, and I moved onto some apple specific service (I cannot remember its name, anymore), out of someplace in Virginia, also at 300 Baud. That one eventually became AOL. I remember feeling slightly insulted that they actually allowed the IBM PC'ers to join "us".

I quit AOL in disgust when, after I discovered that they had been double billing me for six months, they refused to make any adjustments going back more than 60 days. I figured I'd show them by just dropping their service, after all, I still had my Compuserve subscription, and my Prodigy subscription - who needs AOL? (Yes, I had all three going at the same time - I used to like that big print layout scheme that Prodigy used on their bulletin boards, LOL.

You can only imagine how silly I looked as I exclaimed through a clenched jaw, "you don't say" upon learning that AOL had purchased CIS (and before that, ICQ, and, even before that, Prodigy ceased operations).

Even so, all the talk was that AOL was going to keep CIS "CIS". To some extent, that has been true - Classic is still Classic, although CS2000 is AOL through and through.

CIS is the only online service that I'm still with after all these years, so, I suppose, that's why I am a little hesitant to give it up. However, as you say, there seems to be less and less of value online there. I can only imagine that they are no longer staffing to achieve/maintain content.

Sorry for the long post, and thank you for your reply.

Caruso
carusoswi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 02:08 PM   #10
terrie
Staff

>>caruso: So, (and please forgive me if this belongs elsewhere), do you all still belong to CIS, connect to the internet with CIS as your ISP? If you were me, would you continue to use CIS as your ISP?

I still have my cserve account and use that as my primary email address but I'm on cable modem via Comcast and access the web and cserve via cabel modem.

A number of months ago, I switch my cserve account from the ~$24/month unlimited acess to the $9.95/month access plan...I think it gives me 5 or so hours of access which is plenty for me to get my mail.

You don't have to be a member to access the cserve webforums...

By the way...how did you find us?

Terrie

PS...while I've had IDCS for about 8-9 months, I'm just now beginning to work more with it...are you aware that there is a IDCS PageMaker version? Basically, it's an add-on that has a number of different options available. The biggest advantage I've found is that with the PM option, HELP has a lot of topics that compare and contrast PM vs. ID and I've found that useful...I don't know if you can order just the PM portion but it might be worth checking with Adobe, particularlly if you were very comfortable with PM...the PM option helps to ease the transition to IDCS...
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote