DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Hardware & Gadgets

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-13-2015, 09:08 PM   #1
terrie
Staff

Default Ethernet & sound...who knew? '-}}

So today, having moved my new system to my desk yesterday, I plugged in the speakers but...no sound. At first, I thought it was my own stupidity at not having turned on the surge protector I'd turned off yesterday when doing a bit a cleaning before moving the pc case--speakers' electrical plug is powered by the surge protector. However, that didn't do the trick and I still didn't have sound.

I rooted around online for a bit and found what looked to be a promising lead until I read the thread more closely and realized that the suggested fix dealt with speakers on a monitor which is not what I have--the suggestion was to update the VGA drivers for the Asus Z97-A motherboard. I continued searching a bit more and found what I thought was an odd suggestion that dealt with the power management settings for the mobo-based ethernet adapter.

What, really, does an ethernet adapter's power management settings have to do with sound?

A lot!

I opened the Control Panel and Device Manager, scrolled down to the Ethernet Adapters' section, right-clicked and chose Properties for the adapter, clicked on the Power Management tab and unchecked every power management option that was checkmarked and...

Bingo!

Sound out of my speakers...'-}}

Very strange...anyone have any idea of why the ethernet power management options have anything to do with sound?

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote