DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Fonts & Typography

Old 12-10-2021, 06:40 PM   #1
woody649

Default I lost my source - HELP!

In writing something about font selection, I somewhere came across an article by the late Kathleen Tinkel that I quoted. Now that I'm going back to verify my links, I discovered that I somehow didn't link that reference to the article, but to a sub-sub-sub directory on my hard drive -- and the article isn't there.

Mrs. Tinkel died nine years ago, so I can't exactly ring her up and ask if she remembers where the article appeared. If any members here are familiar with her work, if you happen to recognize the following and can steer me to the source, I would be extremely grateful.

Quote:
Set running text in one of the hundreds of standard text faces (including humanistic sans serif designs), at a reasonable size — usually between 9- and 12-point. Leave the letter fit alone (don’t use tracking), don’t enter two spaces between words or sentences, and don’t allow justification to enlarge word spaces unreasonably. Use a measure that allows for 60 to 70 characters per line and add a couple of points of leading. Indent paragraphs (all except the first after a heading, anyway) by one em or a pica, and allow for reasonable margins so readers have a place to hold the book. Avoid reader distractions like typewriter quotes and apostrophes or double hyphens where dashes ought to be.

All these factors work together. If you use a typeface that seems to be harder to read than average—Bodoni, for example—you can compensate by taking pains with spacing, adding leading, or making other adjustments. If you’re pretty sure the work will need to be read by people with impaired vision, avoid low contrast and small sizes. If you anticipate poor lighting, avoid small type and designs with fine hairlines, and don’t use colored inks or papers.
Thanks for any clues you can provide.
woody649 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 08:05 PM   #2
terrie
Staff

I'll bet Ann might have info for you...but...let me take a browse--using duckduckgo.com, I searched on "kathleen tinkel +text layout" (no quotes)...

I think I've found it:

It's a link to a PDF on legibilty and readability and if you search in the pdf for "running text" (no quotes), the 2nd hit appears to be your quote...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 09:46 PM   #3
woody649

Bless you, Terrie. I do believe that's it.

This time I'll be sure to save the PDF where I can find it again.

Looking through it again, I'd say it's a halfway decent primer but perhaps a bit too technical for complete rookies, and an excellent refresher for those who are already doing desktop publishing.

Last edited by woody649; 12-10-2021 at 10:02 PM.
woody649 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 07:33 PM   #4
terrie
Staff

Quote:
woody: I do believe that's it.
Oh yay!!! You are most welcome...'-}}

>>This time I'll be sure to save the PDF where I can find it again.

What's really funny is that I went to save that PDF and discovered I already had it...'-}}

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote