DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Hardware & Gadgets

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-02-2009, 03:14 PM   #15
Hugh Wyn Griffith

Seagate do stress that you must disconnect all other drives from your system before flashing the firmware, as one might expect.

But since the drive on my desktop was newish and little used so far and because of the fag of getting the case out into the open, opening it, disconnecting cables and remembering where they went to and then reversing it all, I decided to take a chance.

My system has two Maxtor (now Seagate owned) main hard drives and the Seagate plus a WD external on USB.

I made the bootable CD image from the download file and rebooted to it and it went through the motions of listing drives -- Maxtor (not Seagate), Maxtor (not Seagate) Seagate .... and burned the update and it's now SD1A

However I have read that someone who did a system with several Seagate drives inside found that the updater listed them and then burned them all without asking one by one and he did not like that although I'm not quite sure why ....

FWIW

Hugh
Hugh Wyn Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote