DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > General Publishing Topics

Old 11-29-2007, 05:32 AM   #1
dthomsen8

Default Paper or electrons?

Are any of you receiving magazines or newspapers by the Internet as an alternative to a paper subscription? If so, how has it worked out for you?

I am interested in subscribing by the Internet, but I am unsure just what is available, and whether the content is the same as the paper version, or maybe more current, or even less than the paper version.
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 06:42 AM   #2
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthomsen8 View Post
Are any of you receiving magazines or newspapers by the Internet as an alternative to a paper subscription? If so, how has it worked out for you?

I am interested in subscribing by the Internet, but I am unsure just what is available, and whether the content is the same as the paper version, or maybe more current, or even less than the paper version.
I haven’t given up my subscriptions, but do read both print and electronic versions of the New York Times every day.

We get the so-called “late” edition of the print paper, which really means an early edition. I check the web site for updates to articles that were sort of incomplete in print. And I can easily scan the many departments and sections without committing to much effort, so the on-line edition is good for that.

It also has blogs from the columnists and some of the news departments. These provide a different take on the news, and sometimes provide a bit of humor (not too much of that at the Times, though).

When it comes to pieces I want to clip from the paper, the online version lets me capture the text to a file, which I prefer. (Especially the interesting recipes from the Wednesday food section.)

But I am not tempted to discontinue the print edition. I am addicted to eating my morning cereal with the newspaper, clipping out the crossword puzzle for poking at during the day, and so on.

Our local paper charges (even print subscribers) to read on-line, so I only look there when I want to know what’s going on in the neighboring town. We live right on a town and county line, so our edition fails to report relevant news about places about a quarter mile away. But I grit my teeth when I have to pay $3.95 if I want to read more than a brief synopsis of an article.

Old 11-29-2007, 10:23 AM   #3
dthomsen8

Default Charges by newspapers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel View Post

When it comes to pieces I want to clip from the paper, the online version lets me capture the text to a file, which I prefer. (Especially the interesting recipes from the Wednesday food section.)

But I am not tempted to discontinue the print edition. I am addicted to eating my morning cereal with the newspaper, clipping out the crossword puzzle for poking at during the day, and so on.

Our local paper charges (even print subscribers) to read on-line, so I only look there when I want to know what’s going on in the neighboring town. We live right on a town and county line, so our edition fails to report relevant news about places about a quarter mile away. But I grit my teeth when I have to pay $3.95 if I want to read more than a brief synopsis of an article.
The Philadelphia Inquirer also charges for articles more than a few days past, but the entire history is available at the Free Library of Philadelphia for free, where an article or column can be downloaded, printed or sent by email. Look into whether your local library has a deal like that for your local paper.
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 11:40 AM   #4
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthomsen8 View Post
The Philadelphia Inquirer also charges for articles more than a few days past, but the entire history is available at the Free Library of Philadelphia for free, where an article or column can be downloaded, printed or sent by email. Look into whether your local library has a deal like that for your local paper.
Hmm. I doubt it. The “local” paper is really regional (out of Bridgeport). But I will ask, just out of curiosity.

Old 11-29-2007, 07:24 PM   #5
Howard Allen

I subscribe to the local daily paper and have done for about 2 years now. The reader software has improved a LOT since I first started. It used to be unfriendly to Macs, not supported at all under Safari, so I had to use it with Firefox, but I see it now supports Safari 2. The interface has also improved, though it still has an ersatz Windows-look to it, which I'm used to by now.

The presentation is a "facsimile" version of the printed paper, so there's nothing missing in that respect, except flyers, which is generally a blessing. The subscription allows you access to 10 other affiliated papers across the country (Canada), including one of the national dailies, which is a big bonus on the face of it, but I rarely have cause to look at any of them.

My main reason for subscribing to the digital version was accessibility. I frequently work out of town (usually out in the bush) and hardcopy papers are generally rare at the worksite, and typically pawed-over copies of the locally flavoured tabloid rag. On the other hand, I usually have access to a decent internet connection while on the job, so the online subscription fit the bill. It also saves trips to the recycling bins, and keeps my fingers from getting inky. I pay about $10 a month for the service (US and Canadian dollars are currently close to par).

Bottom line: I'm happy, and don't miss the hardcopy version at all.

OSX 10.10.5
Howard Allen is offline   Reply With Quote