DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Web Site Building & Maintenance

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-25-2006, 01:39 PM   #1
Daudio

Default What BB software for a small community ?

I recently realized that a small community I belong to could be served by an online forum, and my web hosting could support it without too great an effort. And that leads me to some questions.

1) I know that bulletin board software has been dicussed here quite a bit, but things change and requirements differ, so what bulletin board packages would you suggest for me ?
I have UNIX hosting.
I don't want to increase my hosting costs with database (MySQL) capability for a while.
The bb/forum usage should be small, as I said it is a small community.
I don't want to spend a lot of time configuring the software and moderating the posts.

2) How (and if) can I put the BB software in a subdirectory(or something like that) of my personal web site and have a new domain name point to it there, so it looks like it has its own seperate domain, but I don't have to pay for another hosting package ?

3) There might be an opportunity to sell some advertising to a small number of business that cater to this community (brass scale model locomotive rebuilders and repairers). But I don't have any idea how much that would be worth, and how much to ask for. Any ideas or guidelines ?

Thanks for any help...

DaveAyers.com, Brass Backshop Forum
Daudio is offline   Reply With Quote