DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Print Production & Automation

Old 08-18-2005, 02:49 PM   #1
PeterArnel

Location: North of Swindon in the UK on the edge of the Cotswolds
Default PDF's the basics

Can I remind people that we (the printer) cannot do a lot with pdf's, (Pitstop is a very nice tool to keep in the box!!!!!), so if there is no bleed, there is no bleed and if you inbed the cuter guide in the pdf as a CMYK colour we cannot do anything about it
Peter
You can tell from this what sort of day I have had!!!!!
PeterArnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 03:09 PM   #2
marlene
Staff

Although I'm not a printer, I run into similar problems. I get ads from many different companies to drop into my client's magazine, and although I'm glad to get PDFs (no fussing with native files or font substitutions), I am surprised at how often I get files with no bleed area.

I also get a lot of ads with black backgrounds that are 100% K instead of rich black (or whatever it's called -- composite black?).

I usually work around the bleed problem by enlarging the image slightly, but never figured out an easy way to fix the black background problem, so when that happens I request native files.

I think there are a lot of graphics designers out there who don't know enough about production. (Is that the understatement of the year?)

mxh
marlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 04:01 PM   #3
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlene
I am surprised at how often I get files with no bleed area.
Me too. From ad agencies, no less! Surely a specification of A4 with 5mm bleed on all edges should be specific enough, but i get some with text to within 2mm of the edges, patterned backgrounds that have bleeds on only left and right edges...

When it's something simple like a solid colour all round, I just sample it in Photoshop and create a background box of the sampled colour in InDesign, but how often does that happen?

But the worst perpetrators are the amateurs with a copy of Photoshop and no design skills. I had one recently that sent me a Photoshop file (not flattened, so Photoshop screamed about the fonts) with the wrong dimensions, text to the edge, no bleed. I fixed all that, then she looked at the proof (it was for a new shopping centre) and asked me to remove one of the chains, as they were no longer taking up a lease. The file had been flattened to avoid the font problem, so I removed the offending line in the list, moved everything up, then selected the lot and re-centred it vertically. That's when I discovered a typo (Suncrop instead of Suncorp) so I had to carefully swap the two characters.

When the proof came back from the printer, it turned out that she'd used 72dpi files for the logos of the two major tenants. My client decided it would go to print as it was.

But who am I to complain? To my eternal embarrassment, I once sent an RGB FreeHand file to a service bureau. I'd just upgraded FreeHand, and they'd removed the prefs setting that used to default to converting to CMYK for printing. I think it was version 5 or something, about the time they started shifting their focus to the Web. It was my fault for not checking, of course.

Old 08-23-2005, 07:11 PM   #4
Andrew B.
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by annc
but i get some with text to within 2mm of the edges, patterned backgrounds that have bleeds on only left and right edges...
PMFJI with slight thread drift, but the next time you run into a problem like this, try Akvis Retoucher. It does a very good job of extending images. Here is an example, shown in a tutorial. And sometimes it does even better.
Andrew B. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 08:03 PM   #5
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew B.
PMFJI with slight thread drift, but the next time you run into a problem like this, try Akvis Retoucher. It does a very good job of extending images. Here is an example, shown in a tutorial. And sometimes it does even better.
That's pretty clever, Andrew. Thanks for pointing me to that site again; I keep forgetting about it, and the tools are really good.

Old 08-25-2005, 07:33 PM   #6
Eggles

Peter

I have just started using ID CS2 (a BIG jump for me), and really like the Export PDF function. A lot of our stuff is printed in-house, so bleeds are not a big issue. However, yesterday I had to supply an ad in PDF format (A4 page with 3mm bleeds) to a magazine and could find no way in the Export function of adjusting page size to allow for the bleeds in the PDF. Previously, I used to make PDFs by printing a postscript file and distilling, where I could adjust the page size in the print stage to allow for bleed.

However, to my surpise, after trying various settings in making the PDF via Export, it appeared as though the page size was automatically adjusted to make the extra 'canvas' to allow for the printers marks and bleeds in the PDF. Did I fluke this or is there some setting I am supposed to make? I seem to recall a checkbox with something about using bleed settings, but I played with so many combinations, I'm not sure exactly what I did do to get it to work. Can you clarify?
Eggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 09:04 PM   #7
annc
Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggles
after trying various settings in making the PDF via Export, it appeared as though the page size was automatically adjusted to make the extra 'canvas' to allow for the printers marks and bleeds in the PDF. Did I fluke this or is there some setting I am supposed to make?
I'm still on InDesign CS, but this is how I do it there:

:: In Document Setup, set the amount of bleed you need for each edge of the page. You will see a red guide outside the page edge that the bleed edges.

:: When you Export from InDesign, in the Export PDF dialogue box, select Marks and Bleeds. Check Use Document Bleed Settings under Bleed and Slug. The figures you set in Document Setup will then show in the dialogue box.

Once you've set that for a document, it will stay that way for that PDF export until you change it.

Old 08-26-2005, 12:00 AM   #8
Eggles

I think I must have been doing it right then. I set up bleed margins in doc setup, and when exporting, it must have been 'Use Document Bleed Settings under Bleed and Slug' that I checked (seems obvious now), so things worked out OK.
Old 08-26-2005, 02:48 PM   #9
annc
Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggles
I think I must have been doing it right then. I set up bleed margins in doc setup, and when exporting, it must have been 'Use Document Bleed Settings under Bleed and Slug' that I checked (seems obvious now), so things worked out OK.
Sounds right. The most difficult thing now is to remember it for next time (at least, it is for me!).

Old 08-26-2005, 09:10 PM   #10
Eggles

I always check the box to view the PDF after it is made, so I can see instantly whether the printers marks are there.