DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Software

Old 09-11-2016, 09:19 AM   #1
Andrew B.
Staff

Default Vivaldi browser seems ready for use

Vivaldi browser is a new browser that is meant for disgruntled Opera users and anyone else who wants its unique nature. I just took a quick look at version 1.4 and it might be far enough along for me put it to use. The remaining big annoyance is the history is not in a panel. When selected, it swaps places with speed dial. I set it up using the Olive theme. Seems to work okay with my eyes.

If you visit the link, I suggest you scroll down to read more, and then watch the movie. There is much to Vivaldi that does not show on the surface. https://vivaldi.com

Last edited by Andrew B.; 11-22-2016 at 09:50 AM.
Andrew B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 12:45 PM   #2
terrie
Sysop

Thanks for the heads up...I tried Opera a couple of times but ended up never really using it...can't remember why now...will check out their website...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 02:04 PM   #3
Andrew B.
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrie View Post
Thanks for the heads up...I tried Opera a couple of times but ended up never really using it...can't remember why now...will check out their website...
They added a feature that increases the contrast of the theme (for accessibility purposes). It eliminates my main reason for avoiding Vivaldi. So now it's in place as my default browser and I'll see how it goes.

Vivaldi is Chrome-based. So some Chrome addons work. I've added one from Foxit that converts the page to PDF. I don't know how this is different from printing to PDF, though.

Old 09-11-2016, 04:02 PM   #4
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew B. View Post
Vivaldi browser is a new browser that is meant for disgruntled Opera users and anyone else who wants its unique nature. I just took a quick look at version 1.4 and it might be far enough along for me put it to use. The remaining big annoyance is the history is not in a panel. When selected, it swaps places with speed dial. I set it up using the Olive theme. Seems to work okay with my eyes.

If you visit the link, I suggest you scroll down to read more, and then watch the movie. There is much to Vivaldi that does not show on the surface. https://vivaldi.com
Thanks for this, Andrew. I've installed it and am giving it a bit of a workout. For one particular reason, I really need a second browser that uses Chrome extensions and so far, Vivaldi is doing this pretty well. I want to play with the different layout methods as well.

And like you, I chose the Olive theme. It's good for my eyes as well, and is different from any of the other browsers I sometimes use.

Old 09-11-2016, 04:30 PM   #5
Andrew B.
Staff

I'm adding this as an aside because it made me laugh. I started to watch a video of a Linux user test driving Vivaldi. He installs it, and the first thing Vivaldi does is offer you a way to pick between various looks via very large thumbnail images of how they appear. Instead of simply clicking on one of the choices, he starts looking through the menu system to find a way to change to a dark theme.

Old 09-11-2016, 08:28 PM   #6
Andrew B.
Staff

Tips and tricks

https://vivaldi.net/en-US/forum/all/2822-tips-tricks

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHG...dl7cXhAV7AZKkQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lp_F88eVdQI

Hidden features found by putting the following in the address bar: vivaldi://flags.

And some hidden Opera-like features at: chrome://chrome/settings/content

I was shocked at how many articles and youtube movies there are about Vivaldi. And lots of positive comments. The overall message I get is it has the coolest features but is sluggish on some speed tests. It seems to be creating the kind of excitement Opera 6 did many years ago.

Last edited by Andrew B.; 09-12-2016 at 12:53 PM.
Old 09-12-2016, 12:17 PM   #7
terrie
Sysop

Quote:
andrew: Vivaldi is Chrome-based.
Not a recommendation to my mind because I figure all chrome-based browsers do not allow you to control updating--no option to turn off auto-update.

Is that true for Vivaldi?

Terrie
Old 09-12-2016, 12:22 PM   #8
terrie
Sysop

Quote:
ann: I really need a second browser that uses Chrome extensions
I really like have at least 2 different browsers and I split what I do with them so that one is used primarily for searches. I did break down and install a portable version of Firefox which I have come to really like--not so much Firefox as the portability aspect even though it's installed on my desktop system.

As I noted to Andrew, I have avoided any chrome-based browsers because I figured they would all have auto-updating which I loathe...'-}}

Terrie
Old 09-12-2016, 01:07 PM   #9
Andrew B.
Staff

Terrie, I cannot find any clear information about this from searching their forum. My impression is that it does offer an auto update, but I don't know whether you can refuse it or simply delay it. But i can tell you there no setting in the control panel regarding updates.

Old 09-12-2016, 09:00 PM   #10
Andrew B.
Staff

Looks like I'm starting to blog this topic. But I just looked closer at the theme maker. You specify only four colors (background, foreground, highlight, and accent), but then it creates variations of those colors. So, for example, I changed the background color of the Olive theme and it translated it into five shades for the interface. I also noticed that what I pick for background interacts with highlight. I've seen this kind of technology before, and it was some time ago, but it's interesting to see it on something I use.

Last edited by Andrew B.; 09-13-2016 at 06:47 AM.