DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Hardware & Gadgets

Old 07-06-2010, 05:18 AM   #1
Kayza

Default Cell phones & pockets

That bad? The vibrate on my phone is loud enough for me to hear if it's on my desk, but not so much that everyone else is being disturbed. I guess I'm lucky.

What about keeping the phone in your pocket or on a belt clip? I know it's probably not optimal, and you shouldn't need to worry about it. On the other hand, if you can't avoid the problem...
Kayza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 01:00 PM   #2
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayza View Post
That bad? The vibrate on my phone is loud enough for me to hear if it's on my desk, but not so much that everyone else is being disturbed. I guess I'm lucky.

What about keeping the phone in your pocket or on a belt clip? I know it's probably not optimal, and you shouldn't need to worry about it. On the other hand, if you can't avoid the problem...
My work phone lives in a clip on my work trousers, and it's a real pain. Getting it out in time is difficult without losing the call, even though I've tried about six different types of clip. And my work trousers don't have pockets, unfortunately. My iPhone lives in a sock on my handbag handle. Fortunately my supervisor is sympathetic and the staff around me don't mind hearing Pavarotti singing 'Nessun Dorma' occasionally. Just have to hope it never rings when the director is making one of his rare appearances to check up on all the staff. :-)

Old 07-07-2010, 02:52 PM   #3
Franca
Staff

The vibrate on my phone is pretty disruptive when it's anywhere but in my pocket. But it's annoyingly easy to miss when it is in a pocket, especially if I'm wearing something thick like denim jeans. I've taken to putting it in my shirt pocket when I can, as ugly as that is. But I only put it in shirt pockets that will button or snap over it because I don't want it falling out, and not many of my shirts qualify. And of course I wouldn't do it in a business setting. Men can put phones in shirt pockets at work but not women.

I don't buy any trousers without pockets any more. Ever. I have a couple of pairs of workout pants without pockets that I bought when I was desperate for something to exercise in and I hate them. They taught me that I truly cannot live without pockets -- how do you stand it? I even feel handicapped with only two front pockets ... two in front and one back pocket is acceptable but I prefer to have four pockets. My advice to you is to buy new work trousers.

Franca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 05:10 PM   #4
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franca View Post
I don't buy any trousers without pockets any more. Ever.
Me, neither. And I do not buy anything represented as a jacket without pockets, either. Without, it is just a stiffish shirt!

Old 07-08-2010, 03:18 AM   #5
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franca View Post
I truly cannot live without pockets -- how do you stand it? I even feel handicapped with only two front pockets ... two in front and one back pocket is acceptable but I prefer to have four pockets. My advice to you is to buy new work trousers.
These trousers are truly admirable in all other respects. They are a good shape, hold their knife edge crease wash after wash, are exactly the right length off the hanger, and have held these characteristics for nearly five years of pretty tough wear-and-tear. Oh, and they were cheap to buy in the first place. I have four pairs that have outlasted six pairs (three at a time) of work-supplied trousers that did have pockets. But as I no longer work as part of the libraries, those free work trousers had to go back. They were a horrible shape, had to be altered drastically to fit, and had no nice front-and-back creases. And the pockets had a habit of discharging their contents at inappropriate moments. So I just carry a handbag a bit more often than I'd like. :-)

Old 07-08-2010, 11:10 AM   #6
terrie
Sysop

Quote:
franca: I don't buy any trousers without pockets any more.
I can't bear not to have pockets in my pants! When leggings (leggins?) were poppular, I really liked them--particularly for riding--and so I added my own pockets to them which is not very difficult as you can buy premade pockets at the fabric store and then it's just a matter of splitting the side seam and stitching in the pocket--I did wear a long shirt or long sweatshirt which dropped below the pocket so it did really matter too much if the stitching for the pocket wasn't perfect.

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 01:13 PM   #7
Franca
Staff

I wish I had the remotest interest in (or talent for) sewing. But I suck at the smallest repairs and don't own a sewing machine for tasks of any significance. My sister got what few sewing genes my parents might have passed on.

Old 07-08-2010, 01:23 PM   #8
Franca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel View Post
Me, neither. And I do not buy anything represented as a jacket without pockets, either. Without, it is just a stiffish shirt!
Indeed, jackets must have pockets and my sweatshirts must have pockets and a hood. Fussy, aren't I?

Old 07-08-2010, 01:26 PM   #9
Franca
Staff

They do sound perfect in every other respect.

Old 07-08-2010, 02:02 PM   #10
terrie
Sysop

Quote:
franca: I wish I had the remotest interest in (or talent for) sewing. But I suck at the smallest repairs and don't own a sewing machine for tasks of any significance. My sister got what few sewing genes my parents might have passed on.
Ahhh...so I guess you don't make any clothes for the divine ms. 7...'-}}

I used to make all sorts of nifties for Zo--saddle pads for the most part but I did make her a stable blanket once...unfortunately given the fabric design, she looked like a giant easter egg and she was sooo embarassed that I never put it on her again...'-}}

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote