DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > General Publishing Topics

Old 10-30-2005, 01:42 PM   #1
Michael Rowley

Default OEM copies of InDesign & Creative Suite cheap

Impoverished typographers (and designers?) may like to know that InDesign CS & Creative Suite CS are now available as OEM copies from a number of sources. ID is offered at $70, CS at $120. They are probably not pirated copies.

Old 11-02-2005, 04:29 PM   #2
terrie
Staff

Quote:
michael: They are probably not pirated copies.
Why do you think that they aren't pirated?

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 03:28 PM   #3
Michael Rowley

Terrie:

Why do you think that they aren't pirated?

Because there's no need to pirate CS if there OEM copies available, and there should be plenty. You can be sure that now only CS2 is being pirated. In a similar fashion, you can possibly still buy OEM copies (cheaply) of Acrobat 6, which some say is preferable to Acrobat 7.

Old 11-09-2005, 03:28 AM   #4
imatt

Sorry to burst your bubble Michael, but Adobe does not go in for OEM software unlike MS. You see, you can purchase a copy of Win XP Pro here in GB for around £250 or so. An outragous price, by the way. An OEM copy would set you back around £95. Far more reasonable.

OEM (Original Equipment Manafacturer) copies of WinXP are sold on the basis that you are a "system builder" and are buying a copy of Windows with an "essential" peice of hardware such as a mouse, keyboard, hard disk or motherboard. Although I've read MS have relaxed these rules.

Adobe do not sell OEM software. The closest you'll get is a copy of Photoshop Elements bundled with a high end scanner which cannot be sold on its own anyway.
The prices you quote fall under the category of "if it's too good to be true, 9 times out of 10 it is".

$70 for InDesign???? Gotta be a pirate copy. Do not deal with these guys. Even if you're content with using pirate software, and let's be honest, many of us are, when you type in your credit card number, can you really be sure you'll not be ripped off???!!??
imatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 08:23 AM   #5
Michael Rowley

Adobe does not go in for OEM software

On reflexion, that seems logical. But on the other hand, did you notice any difficulty in getting CS or Acrobat 6 just before CS2 or Acrobat 7 were released? No doubt copies of the CDs with 'old' versions are supposed to be returned or destroyed by their stockists, but . . . You may find it difficult to believe that anyone would offer obsolete (but still usable) programs at either the recommended retail price or free, but I don't, and I don't think I'm alone in my belief that some people want to make a fast penny—but not, of course, in Leeds.

Old 11-09-2005, 11:29 AM   #6
imatt

I don't think that selling old software is a problem. You're right that Adobe perhaps has a tougher policy on returning older software. However, if a retailer is selling a guniune copy of Illustrator 10 for £97 as discontinued stock and the buyer is aware that this is a discontinued version, then no probs. I see CorelDraw 9, 10 and 11 still on sale even though ver 12 has been out for ages.

However, by attatching the OEM tag to Adobe titles is misleading as Adobe does not really go in for OEM. Actually Michael, I saw many vendors still selling CS1 alongside CS2 for a period...as the price of CS2 was the same it was pretty much a no brainer.
Old 11-09-2005, 01:13 PM   #7
Michael Rowley

attaching the OEM tag to Adobe titles is misleading

I didn't intend to mislead! And I acknowledged my error in supposing that an equipment manufacturer would ever be asked to instal Adobe software. But 'out of date' programs may still be useful, and are available from unconventional sources, although extreme caution should be exercised in choosing them.

Old 11-09-2005, 01:24 PM   #8
imatt

I did not accuse you of the misleading so much Mike, just those online "businesses" (we all know the ones) who seem to sell software at "too good to be true prices". They add the OEM atg to all the pirateware they sell to make everything sound legit.
Old 11-09-2005, 08:23 PM   #9
Stephen Owades

I suspect that the cynics are right, and that the purportedly "OEM" copies of Adobe Creative Suite are actually pirated. And since OEM products are often packaged oddly, they might be able to hoodwink customers (especially customers who are "willing" to be hoodwinked for enough of a cash savings).

But I have seen OEM versions of Adobe products, available as configurable options on Dell Workstations, for example. When I looked at a Dell Precision 380, I found several Adobe packages (not Creative Suite, however) offered, and in the product details the words "Software, documentation, or packaging may vary from retail version." So OEM Adobe software isn't an absolute impossibility.
Stephen Owades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 09:15 PM   #10
Shane Stanley
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Owades
So OEM Adobe software isn't an absolute impossibility.
They used to do an OEM version of Photoshop to be bundled with scanners, and I think they have an OEM version of the consumer equivalent. But as you say, not CS.

Shane
Shane Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote